1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

iPad control for Protools...finally!

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by kmetal, Aug 6, 2015.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

I'm excited about this. http://www.avid.com/US/Products/ProToolsControl

audiokid likes this.
  2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Cool . This is going to only get better for all platforms as time goes on.

I wonder how fast it is? Any video on it?

As seen in this older V-Control. Not sure if the latency is something I can tolerate though. I like the idea of being able to work with it from the musicians POV.

V-Control

3. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

I would expect the Latency performance to be about the same as the personas studio live or similar, because I suspect Wi-Fi is how they communicate to each other. Wich I find to be decent, but could be significantly better. If it were any slower than that, it'd be intolerable. Same with the usb hui controllers I've used. It won't replace a purpose built controller or surface, but it'll be nice to be able to hit record from across the room or ideally record on tracks etc. from the vocal booth

4. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

I currently use Logic Control app on my retina iPad when recording away from my desk, it works in real time, no noticeable latency. I used to use v-control pro, no issues on protools 9 & 10 also at the time. I think if you have any recent version tablet, you're good to go. Along with a decent Wifi. That prior being said, Logic Pro control actually works over bluetooth also, very well.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

wow, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing, Tony.

6. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

One last thing though, they suck power like a v8 looking for a gas station :). Expect maybe 2-3 hrs of scattered use at best.

kmetal likes this.