1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Is guitar rig worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by edaub1, May 24, 2010.

1. edaub1

edaub1 Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I own a fender blues deville, fender strat, sm57's and a presonus firestudio project..

Even if i had good mic techniques, would guitar rig give me a better sound?
  2. jg49

jg49 Distinguished Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Frozen Tundra of CT
    Is it worth it? I guess that depends. In my mind there is no real replacement for an amp. As a guitarist I just have not able to make the transition to software modeling, maybe I'm just too old school. A mic properly placed, an amp dialed in well can't be duplicated by software especially when it comes to "playability." Stompboxes become an issue as most of them need a true amp load in order to work well. However software modeling is awfully close once a recording has been captured, so you might want to consider both. Take a DI of the guitar and send it to an amp as well, recording both. This will give you the ability to tweak to your heart's content at a later time. As far as software goes guitar rig is a good program.
  3. HaHallur

HaHallur Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    No way I hell guitar rig will give you better sound, I've tried these things, incl. GTR 3 from Waves and whey don't come close to a decent amp mic-ed decently and not even decently just put a mic anywhere and it will sound better!