1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Is it a splitter that I need?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sshack, Apr 11, 2008.

1. sshack

sshack Active Member

Just to have as an option, I'd like to try and record my guitar direct AND through an amp simultaneously.

2. basilbowman

basilbowman Guest

You could do that, or you could go straight into your board and then use an aux send to go to your amp and mic that. I think...

3. sshack

sshack Active Member

Hmmm.

Let me just add some info for clarity.

I have two mic preamps, my plan would be to use one to record direct and the other to use for the mic on the amp into two channels on my DAW.

4. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

If your planing to plug you GTR directly into a mic pre-amp you may want to consider a DI box. The DI box coverts the GTR's high impedance output to a low impedance source that the microphone input wants to see.

A DI box usally also have a direct out suitable for running a GTR amp input. So it will be you splitter too.

I have a Radial JDI and quite happy with it.
    CD Duplication

Other popular DI's include:
    Country man
    http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=52&catid=10
    Avalon U5
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--AVAU5

5. sshack

sshack Active Member

Thanks Link. I like Radials stuff. Sorry for being stupid, but I can't tell if this will work like I'm thinking...unless my thinking is wrong which is completely possible.

It seems to me that I need ONE 1/4" input into a splitter/DI and TWO 1/4" outputs...one to the mic pre and the other to the front of my amp.

Maybe the JDI duplex is the way to go?

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

We have 1 cheapass passive DI with an Input, Balanced Out and a Link Out on it...
    A proper DI should act as a splitter.

7. sshack

sshack Active Member

Ah, so wait....I would go 1/4" IN with my guitar, then XLR OUT to the mic pre for direct and 1/4" OUT to the front of the amp?

8. Codemonkey

Yeah. And mic the amp, obviously. Mic'ing the DI won't get much usable sound.
    How I'd do it anyway...I'd imagine most DIs have a Link/Direct Out as well.

9. sshack

sshack Active Member

I had to re-adjust my thinking because usually when I record direct I just plug straight into the front of the pre with a 1/4" from my guitar. I've never (obviously) thought about taking an XLR from a DI.

10. Link555

Chances are your interface may handle the impedance conversion for you. What Interface are you using?

11. sshack

sshack Active Member

Duet

12. Link555

Yes you do have a line input. Hi Z means high impedance.

So yes a Y type splitter is all you would need.

However if you have noise issues, the Y cable can not isolate mic inputs from it.

In Y cable you are connecting all the three circuit commons (current return paths) together. So they will all share the same noise. Often a guitar amp will have a fair amount of noise on its common. A PC can also so have a noisy common bus from its switching power supply. By using a Y cable you are essentially connecting these possible noise sources together. These noise sources can wiggle your guitars common, making the guitar signal noisy.

That’s why I would suggest you invest an isolating DI box; it will make your life easier in the long run.

13. sshack

sshack Active Member

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

14. Link555

wow can you send your response to my wife, lol

15. sshack

sshack Active Member

HA!

:D

16. MarkG

MarkG Guest

I use direct boxes and different ways to split guitar all the time and usually it works fine. However, my understanding is that a guitar amps input will put a certain load on the guitars pickups, and changing that load can change the tone of the guitar.
    I think there are some high priced boxes that allow you to do this correctly, but like I said, I just use regular direct boxes all the time.
    I did have a situation recording live where a direct box completely ruined the tone of an acoustic guitar and had to resort to micing the acoustic amp.

MarkG

17. Link555

thats is my understanding too. The output of a GTR is high impedence, unless it has an active pick up.

18. Codemonkey

Something to me doesn't seem right about the concept of an "acoustic guitar amp".

19. Link555

nor micing an acoustic gtr amp! lol

Oh to have enough isolation rooms

20. Codemonkey

Next we know, singers will have 1/4" line outs in their neck and we'll be putting SM57s onto the "Behringer Vocal Amp".