1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Is the Digidesign monopoly over ?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Divo, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Divo

Divo Guest

I have been looking into this whole Protools thing and I have come to the conclusion that all the Digidesign hype is exactly that; "Hype". The software is in my opinion antiquated, uncomfortable and limiting, and the hardware is no better than many of the cheaper alternatives; infact in a lot of cases it sounds pretty average in comparison. As far as I can tell the only reason why Protools is still hanging on as the industry leader is because digidesign managed to corner the market early. Nothing but clever marketing. To be honest I have heard far better results from systems that cost half as much. I think that Cubase SX will eventually overtake Protools as the leading software solution, and there are many manufacturers who build far superior, and much more flexible hardware solutions for a lot less money. The fact that the Protools software is tailored to the hardware package is pretty suckfull too. If you did happen to like the software you would be stuck with digidesigns overpriced and underfeatured hardware with no alternatives in sight. I for one will not be handing over my hard earned dollars for something that serves no purpose other than to back me into a corner and bleed my bank account dry....
    I'ts only the industry standard if we keep buying it, and current trends suggest that more and more people are turning away from Digidesign. I know of at least a dozen major studios in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane that keep a digi 001 stuffed in a cupboard just in case somebody asks if they have a Protools rig. The work is generally done with Cubase or Logic and a lot of different mixed hardware....

Any opinions regarding the digi monopoly would be great to hear.
  2. robmix

robmix Guest

I don't think it's ever been a true monopoly, certainly not like Bell Telephone was here in the states. The big three (MOTU, Emagic, Steinberg) have co-existed with Digi for the entire duration. One would certainly guess that with the onset of faster computers that Native is certainly the way of the future but for many professionals Digi still holds the key. In L.A. it's rare to do a record without PT. Digi has a choice to either hold steady with their current hardware solution or at some point go the way of MOTU and offer cheaper solutions. It will be interesting to watch. As for the software most people consider PT a nice clean interface that operates more like a tape machine and console. I can't stand mixing in Logic. As for Cubase, I've only used it a few times and at this point it doesn't have a very strong hold in American studios.

3. robb007

robb007 Guest

{I can't stand mixing in Logic}
    I love mixing in Logic as far as being completely intuitive.Logic has you completly covered,Being a producer with a degree in music and being taught mixing by the great Jack Richardson I found Logic having a steep learning curve but found there was not much that we could not do ,samples,proper midi adjustments ,ect ect...We were a pro tools house for years!I still don't mind it !But with the revolution of vst cards from Universal audio and the power core .I find the sonic sound to be far more rounder darker more like tape than say Avid ,the sound is very thin brittle almost harsh,I don't mind Steinberg .Although not my Choice .Just a opinion from Canada.
  4. Bassmannie

Bassmannie Guest

I'm a Logic user (and lover) as well.

And, while I'm no expert or insider to any degree, it's looking more and more like Logic is challenging Pro Tools for the Kingship of pro audio production.

Given Apple's acquirement of Emagic, and given that Digidesign continues to work with Emagic in their support of Pro Tools hardware, I'd say it's a fair bet that Pro Tools loses some of its grip as the absolute high-end standard.
  5. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    oh...just you wait till Nuendo 2.0!! ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

At that point it's a real problem for PT users!
    Serious stuff coming out soon!!

That's all I can say!

Opus :D
  6. Henchman

Henchman Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    I personally think the interface sucks.
    That's just me.
  7. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Well said sir!!!

Opus :D
  8. Tre

Tre Guest

Nuendo 1.6 dose just fine for me. Only one minor glitch but found an easy work around. I have worked in a studio for years working on major and underground projects for years. Sonar is a great scratch pad. Logic well wasn't my flavor not to say it is not good (I probably gave up to soon), PT didn't feel right, and Steinberg I never tried until Nuendo came out. I had no choice, but once I mixed on this sytem I loved it. I was inches from going with Sequoia. Nuendo works very well and that is the bottom line.
  9. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2002
    This thing of Pace/i-lok really sucks. Their prices are too high also. Staying with PT MIx/OS 9.2.2/5.1.1 for a loooooooooong time!
  10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Yes Nuendo seems to be the "other" program that is going to be the one to give Digidesign a run for their money. Nuendo just might be the one to break the bank! The alternate Standard! Next purchase for me will be a Pentium computer with Nuendo ... but not until I wear the one I have out ... Kurt
  11. paulpreamble

paulpreamble Guest

I agree, Protools is a joke - it reminds me of using a Mac in 1985. I also think that Logic is quirky and has a poorly designed interface. Nuendo / SX is clearly a huge step foward above the rest. And most VST options are much much cheaper for better or as good quality.
    Don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, just my thoughs on the subject.
  12. omegaarts

omegaarts Guest

Nuendo 2 will change the shape of things to come.
    With computer power breathing fire now and spewing radiation in a couple of years I think PT's will melt under the fall out. Looks like a white winter coming for PT.
    Larry :D
  13. suspec57

suspec57 Guest

I personally can't wait to see how Nuendo will perform under intels new 800fsb! I use Nuendo daily at work and love it.
  14. Pez

Pez Active Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I have to say that the folks at Digidesign will probably adapt to the current situation. Computers are getting speedy and native will be the future I think. I'm sure that they are already working on their marketing to adapt to current times. Nuendo 2.0 will kick some butt but unfortunately it still doesn't have beat detective. At this point I feel most PC daws need a UAD or Powercore card to share the load because of the lack of CPU power for the intense processing a good plugin requires. It's looking like the future will be bright for users if the software companies can produce enough income to remain in business.
  15. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    After being a long time user of Steinberg products on both platforms, I have no confidence in Steinberg.

I've yet to see any evidence that their purchase by Pinnacle has improved their quality control. They appear to have to many products for their staff to handle.

Halion2 contains the same bugs from the previous version.
    They have no faith in their updates they all hit the scene as betas.

I was a Cubase user since version 3.x, traditionally it takes them 4-5 updates befor you get the advertized product.

Nuendo has been getting more attention than SX/SL.
    Ex-Logic users are leading the exodus to Samplitude.

If the Nuendo2 release is buggy, will they remain a viable company? ;)
  16. Gary Gidak

Gary Gidak Guest

Originally posted by DIVO:

As far as I can tell the only reason why Protools is still hanging on as the industry leader is because digidesign managed to corner the market early. Nothing but clever marketing.

Sounds like a good argument for the popularity of Microsoft. ;)
  17. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    No the Digidesing empire is not dead.

Recently helped a client wire his studio for PTHD.

So far this year he has generated over $80,000 in income.

From an initial investment of less than $10,000, he's doing fine.
  18. Kurt Foster

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    G-Dub, That's pretty incredible ... What kind of clients is he serving? A success like that is very rare. If we could all turn 80K in 5 months off of a 10K investment, we would be in heaven... Was your friend using PT before he installed this new system? 10K doesn't buy very much in the PT world.. Kurt
  19. Petermix

Petermix Guest

Well, the funny thing is, Protools-less people always seem to hate on the beast... why so much hatred I wonder? Like nuendo/logic/cubase/gizmoxxx ? I'm hip to that! as long as it gets the job done!!!!
    Get the best tool YOU can afford, to get the JOB done! it's still YOU behind the mouse/screen/computer/control surface/whatava....
    And now back to mixing on my HD3 :cool:

Peace out y'all!

20. Kurt Foster

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    For me it's that it is so expensive and due to them releasing new product every 16 months there is no way for a small studio to recoup the costs, thereby making it unatainable. So we choose other stuff that is just as good but costs 1/4th the price and pray that they go belly up at some point so that we too, can be competitive and have a degree of compatibility. I just wonder if they think we are all made out of money... that's my only problem with Digidesign..