1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Is this a cabling issue?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by bhuvan, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

in my studio, which is a modest home-studio setup, i'm seeing something common through all the recordings/mixes: there's is a definite loss in high end.

i'm wondering if this is due to the cabling, which is old and was not layed down under proper guidance etc. could the high end loss be due to inductive reactance of the cables?

to counter this, on my soundcard (Aardvark Q10) i've put a setting called the "brightness" to max. but doesn't solve the problem.

what makes me doubt the cabling being faulty is that even when we record electric guitar straight into the card, we'll still get the same results of a high end definition lack. anyone else face similar problems in their studios?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Cheap (lesser quality) cables will do it everytime. Stay far, far away from cheap cables, and cheap everything for that matter (this includes cheap beer too) :lol:

3. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

Sure thing! i've just taken over the studio and have found this out. personally, i'd decided that first on the priority list was to get the cabling redone. but i just wanted to confirm that i'm not misfiring.

4. axel

axel Guest

cabling is a very important, but stay away from monster cables for monster money, buy something like Klotz cables very, very good and reasonable priced (it's a german company, it it does what it says on the tin!!!)

5. Boltino

Boltino Guest

FYI - The "brightness" control on the Q10 controls how bright the aardvark logo is on the front of the unit and isn't audio related.

6. busterhymen

busterhymen Guest

7. busterhymen

busterhymen Guest

bhuvan,
    The "brightness" is for the red light on your Aardvark. On your mixer software, you can turn it up and down.

8. busterhymen

busterhymen Guest

Hey Boltino,
    On my Aardvark Q10, channels 1 & 2 are out of sync with everything I record. 3-8 are fine. I can move the .wav and sync it up to whatever I've recorded but it gets to be a drag. How can I fix it? Thanks alot!