1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Is this microphone similar in sound quality

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by somerstein, May 2, 2005.

1. somerstein

somerstein Guest

Hello, I bought the TLM 103, not very happy with the sound and I was thinking about selling it and buying two less expensive mics...

I want a tube mic and a valve mic....

My choices after research were the Rode NTK and the CAD M9.... any thoughs or advices on my crazy ideas "(for some people)" are welcome.....

PD..... I have 2 The Brick preamps that I will use with any microphone that I decide to buy

2. Chance

Chance Guest

Tube and valve mics are the same "valve" is a euro term meaning tube.

3. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

Just a question, what other mics have you owned? What style of music are you doing? I've heard the rode is pretty good, not sure if I would go down to the CAD from the tlm you might be disappointed.

4. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I believe the M9 is a very good mic and I know the k2 is reak good- what is it with the tlm 103 that you don't like?

5. somerstein

somerstein Guest

Well there is nothing wrong with the TLM, but I dont really belive that is working good for my vocals, I want to have more options, and besides is too expensive for what it does in my recordings. I wish I could keep it and get the other 2 options that I had in mind, but " budget "... you know :? .

6. Chance

Chance Guest

What are your other two options ?

7. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Again(As in other posts), I'd put the TLM money(If I had it) into an AKG C414B ULS(Now, XLS) condenser and an Electrovoice RE-20 dynamic. Having the pair would cover my vocal needs quite well(I'd try to "pop" for the Stedman pop filter, too - mostly for the AKG...). Someday, a "super tube/valve" mic, sure, but it will be a multi-grand expenditure - with another multi-grand expenditure on the fancy-schmancy multi-tube mic preamp to go with it...

TG

8. maintiger

hey, a C414 is a great mic for vocals- if it was fine with Freddy Mercury (and you know the range he had) its all right by me...

9. Operadragon

Operadragon Guest

Hey X,

I just did my first recordings with my K2 last night, and I am loving it!

In order that I might protect my investment, I'm turning off the power supply every time I'm done with a session.

Is it ok to hook up the PSU to a power conditioning unit?

Tanks,
    Brad Venable

10. maintiger

Hi brad-
    Congrats on your K2! I understand some people never turn them off I'm with you though, I turn mine off- a power conditioning unit is fine

11. Operadragon

Operadragon Guest

X,

How long do you let the tube warm up before using it?

Brad

12. maintiger

I try to turn it on a couple of hours before hand... however I've done a couple of sessions turning it on just 15 minutes before-
    and it didn't seem to affect the sound negatively- When recording percussion I set up two K2's a couple of hours before and they put out a lotta heat! enough to make a difference in the room temperature anyway- we kept turning the AC on between takes as it was a bit too warm-

13. Operadragon

Operadragon Guest

Thanks...that's what I was aiming for...just to see if warming it up was a notable difference.

Thanks,
    Brad