1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

IS this the future of Music?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2002
    IS this the future of music?
    Please, check this folks:

It must be a joke

Eng. Alécio Costa
  2. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2003
    It looks authentic enough... The demo was actually pretty good, other than the pitch bends and vibrato being a little robotic (nothing some attention to detail can't fix) and the samples sounding like they were 8kHz.

We'll see what develops. Ten years ago who would have thought Hans Zimmer would be able to whip up authentic-sounding symphonic demos from his house?
  3. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Active Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Central Village, CT
    I am both inpressed and amazed.......
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

And no - it doesn't look like a joke at all....

4. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Mar 19, 2001
    New Milford, CT USA
    Home Page:

No, it's not a joke. That's been discussed quite a bit lately in the press and around the 'net.

Personally, I'm not very impressed. The Japanese demo sounds very convincing, but only because Japanese is foreign sounding to me. When you hear the English demos you can quickly tell how inadequate the technology is - for now anyway.

5. falkon2

Mar 17, 2003
    After listening to the demo a little more (I listen to quite a lot of Japanese vocals, though for the life of me I can't understand anything :D ) it seems to me the robotic quality also comes from the times being rather quantized - no one sings with such strict timing precision... Add some fine detail to that, maybe some breathing sounds, and fine volume control, and we have a potential winner.
  6. Freeform

Freeform Guest

I'm not even impressed by the japanese demo. if the song held one word the whole time, on one note, it might of been convincing. it sounds like a japanese steven hawking to me.
  7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Mar 19, 2002
    Hi guys... who is steve hawking?
  8. falkon2

Mar 17, 2003
  9. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

Jun 8, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I've got a novel idea that gives you the same result.

Save the money you'd spend on Vocaloid (just the name sounds like a freakin' robot), buy a decent mic, and use an actual singer that can actually sing.

Problem solved.

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen.
  10. falkon2

Mar 17, 2003
    You never know... it could be the next biggest hit amongst the hordes of fruity loops enthusiasts. I agree that the usage of the term "professionals" in that quote is a little misleading.
  11. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Mexico City
    Home Page:
    a genius...

in a wheelchair
  12. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    hahahahahahahahah MCHAWKING hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :s:
  13. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    well the nails in the coffin' of this biz were hammered in along time before this.....the day interscope shut down A&M was (in hindsight) a turning point.
  14. I bet if you run it through Sansamp with a bit of distortion... it sounds just like Tom Waits! :D Doc
  15. Hey look, we all just need to accept the progress of science. They had this same debate when the steam-shovel came along. People said, "Hmm, that contraption sure LOOKS interesting, and that salesman has a snappy patter, but it'll never replace a team of sweating men armed with spades." Well look what happened- not one person in any neighbourhood across this wide, wide world would consider working in their garden without the aid of their trusty steam-shovel.
    :D Doc
  16. mixopenta

mixopenta Guest

I believe none of us will escape the fact that in a year (or sooner) there will emerge a bunch of Europop/Technopop songs cluttered with the vocaloid, -and sell a bunch of records. (Just like the usage of the vocoder and the autotune fx).

It will be popular for awhile, then in year 2030 someone will say: -"I've gotto have that cool vintage vocaloid gadget", "They made such great crappy sounds back in 2004..."

For myself, I would rather program the vocaloid to make J Lo talk dirty to me. :D
  17. sign

sign Guest

Hadn't thought about that possibillity! :D

But without joking, the next step in karaoke will be a processor that will change your voice into the voice of Barbra S, Frank S, Robbie, W or whoever you like, in real time and with autotuning.

It's all the fault of digital technology! :D :D :s:
  18. Treena Foster

Treena Foster Active Member

Jul 4, 2003
    And people wonder why music sounds so bad now days. :roll:

:h: Treena
  19. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Mar 19, 2002
    Yes Treena. Very top guys producing their albums at large facilities and ending up with total crap. :confused:
  20. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Wow! Scary stuff!

:p :d:

Anybody remember when they said synthsizers would put every musician on the planet out of work? I'm not terribly worried. There is nothing that can compare to true talent working a great instrument.

Uncle Bob

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!