1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

its....ALIVE! (the NS10 kick mic)

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by heinz, Oct 29, 2003.

1. heinz

heinz Guest

Well thanks to Recorderman I got a mounting bracket, and finally got around to building this today. COOL! I soldered a small cable end to the old NS10 speaker (the one from the Guinness Incident), and a short-run to a MALE XLR connector.

:tu:

2. golli

golli Active Member

This sounds exciting!! Could you maybe post a sample, sometime?

3. clintrubber

clintrubber Guest

Yes, a sample would be cool ! Say in a with and without version. Or even cooler, say with your MD421 panned hard left, the NS10 hard right, both in a stereo file. Would be the ultimate possibility to play with a blend.

BTW, did you perhaps use the HPF on the '421 now you got the woofer-mic added ?

Just curious,

Peter

4. heinz

heinz Guest

Yeah I can post some samples this weekend as I'll be tracking some drums. The stereo thing is a good idea Peter.

Today I played with the 421 in M position without any rolloff, I prefer to track full-on and cut later if needed. Right now I'm playing hunt-for-the-sweet-spot inside the kick drum. For the NS10, right up close to the front head seems to get a nice attack to the sub note.

5. golli

golli Active Member

So, the NS-10 is not facing a second hole on the front head??

6. vagelis

vagelis Guest

Does it work with other speakers too?

Thanx - Vagelis

7. heinz

heinz Guest

golli - right now the speaker is not in front of a hole, I tried it in front of the primary hole and it didn't sound as good. But then there is a huge air blast coming out, it's a 24" kick.

vagelis - Yes I believe the speaker type is not as crucial... here are some links to other conversations on this:

The Recorderman thread-
    (Dead Link Removed)

HomeRec article (they use a generic speaker)-
    http://homerecording.about.com/library/weekly/aa112502.htm

Nuther good rec.org thread-
    (Dead Link Removed)

8. vagelis

vagelis Guest

9. dymaxian

dymaxian Guest

Steal your bass player's cabinet. Treat it's input jack as an output, and run an instrument cable from there to a lo-Z input.

I've seen guitar cabs work, too- you'll have 4 12" speakers as a mic diaphram.

Haven't tried it with my 8-10 yet, tho. We'll see. But my little Peavey 1-12 cab sounds awesome.

Good luck!

Kase
    http://

10. sign

sign Guest

I wonder, I have a couple of old Philips AD 3800M speakers, they're 800 ohm, built for a 100 volt system.

Would that work? I guess I'll just have to try, any thoughts?

11. by

by Guest

I made a thought!!!!! ....shoot it was over a minute ago and now I forgot.... oh yeah.. I've done the guitar cab trick in my sleep once, it was... nifty buttery

though once I tried it with my friends crappy fender amp that had a reverb spring thing in it, and it rattled all intense like, kinda interesting, almost like a snare

With a marshel half stack you can almost align it to capture the rack toms, though I've not tried that yet (I should?)

I'm sure the open/floating speaker method sounds much different though, how much I don't know..

12. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

I'm glad you're diggin' it.

13. bubblegum

bubblegum Guest

I'm going to try this with one of my Jensen P10R Alnicos....

It'll either sound amazing or totally S***T!!

14. Catoogie

Catoogie Guest

Where can I get one of those brackets?

15. heinz

heinz Guest

Catoogie I ran across an ad from Recorderman in the For Sale section of the forum.

HEY here are some sound files. Please pardon my crappy engineering skills.

First is a stereo file, r121 in front of the kick about 3 feet back in the RIGHT speaker, NS10 Sub-kick in the LEFT speaker. You can play with balance to hear either.

800k wav file

Second is a drum mix, first half without sub-kick, 2nd half with sub-kick.

1.2MB WAV file

If your speaker system represents low end well, you'll hear it bigtime. I can barely here the sub freq on my NS10's (surprise), but on my AML-1's it's astonishingly huge.

16. by

by Guest

YOU MEAN :
    KICK 1
    KICK 2

Pretty beefy sounding kit you got there :)

17. heinz

heinz Guest

Ack! Fixed the links. Thanks man!!

18. clintrubber

clintrubber Guest

Thanks for those samples. This is so much more illustrative than just text. Thanks !

Peter

19. golli

golli Active Member

Could I then perhabs use the Fender Frontman 25B as an kick mic?

20. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

try anything once. You might create something unique.