1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by composition4, Mar 23, 2005.

1. composition4

composition4 Guest

I'm considering buying a TMP-8 pre for 8 pres into my Hercules 16/12 FW...

It's a bit of a stretch $$$ wise (like most here, I'm not made of money) but I've decided this might be a good idea for the long run... and considering it's made in Australia I won't have to pay import + freight taxes as I live in Aus already...

I guess I'm just after reassurance that this is the right pre for me? I know "the right pre" is a bit of a generalisation, but in general terms, is it a solid buy?

And while we're at it, any opinions on the Hercules 16/12 FW (I haven't really had much of a chance to use it yet, barely out of the box)

2. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Did you check out Kurt's recording.org review? I'm sure you did.

I think you cant do much worse! The TMP8 seems to be built like tank, super cool design. When I scrape up the cash for my remote rig, after cutting my teeth with a big ole console, the TMP8 is the next big purchase on my list.

Although I never heard it in use, I'd buy one. But damn I cant believe peolpe arent talking about it more.

Sorry I'm not much help. I hope other users will chime in.
  3. composition4

composition4 Guest

Thanks for the reply! - And yes, I did read Kurt's review, although I appreciate feedback from others as his opinion is that of only 1 person :)

I'd be using it to track drums mainly - one stumbling block would be that I'm not sure what to ask the soft limiters to be set to out of factory (apparently they are non-adjustable by the user...)

Any suggestions for this also? Considering I'll be using thru a Hercules 16/12FW into a DAW

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Just tell Joe what your audio interface is and I'm sure he can help you.

Give Joe a call and ask him about this pre and others he has on offer.

Seriously good stuff.
    ... but then I'm biased