Joe Meek compressor sounds

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters' started by anonymous, Apr 24, 2002.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Was doing 'cabaret' or Ben Folds Five, style piano today (a synth), LOTS of slammed down hard chords, in a jazzy rock track, the stereo Joe Meek (SV3?) I have made a nice round 'crushed' sound..

I also used it on Di bass..

I dunno, I was going to sell it, cause it is 'weird' and not used so often....

Any one digging Joe Meek compression?

On what?

Describe the benefit!

:)

2. Pete

Pete Guest

I know meek stuff gets ragged upon alot... but I enjoy the color ( I also love sansamps on drums so maybe I am not the best source) when it has to be aggresive I would use it on drum submix's and bass. gotta be careful cuz the attack on mine is pretty wierd....

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

"gotta be careful cuz the attack on mine is pretty wierd.... "

tell me about it! I used mine on vocals once and it sounded like the singer was sneezing just before singing - as the transient esses got 'smacked' down rather late...

4. ad0lescnts

ad0lescnts Guest

Hello,
    I have the JoeMeek VC3Q and I love it.. It doesnt seem to work well for anything but vocals. The s's are very harsh so i just turn down the high's all the way but it still sounds good. It gives a nice analog sound... If you think there is way better what should I get for a reasonable price???? Thanks a lot

Tyler

5. CarmenC

CarmenC Guest

I have a JoeMeek SC2.2 that I LOVE on the drum sub mix!
    The input knob on a Meek compressor is VERY important.
    For instance, on a drum sub mix, set your attack and release as fast as possible.
    Compression to 5, slope to 3.
    Now play with the input to add the amount of grunge you want.
    The difference of the input from, say, 7 to 8, is large.
    The dark button on the SC2.2 is GREAT!
    Very heavy...(When the Levee Breaks..)
    Meek RULES!!!
    Peace.
    Carmen
    :w:

6. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Hey Carman,
    Good to see you here. Hows the wedding stuff going.
    Mike

7. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

I have an SC2.2 and also like on drum sub in the right instances. I think it works best on slow to mid tempo songs (for drums). I produced an album that I wanted to play drums on a certain song that was mid tempo with a decent amount of space and color. I played it knowing what the Joe Meek would do to the drum sub. It sounds just like I wanted it to, kind of fat and squishy in a good way.

Here's a link to the song
    http://2likeminds.com/mp3s/2likeminds_i_woke_up.mp3

The Meek is an all or nothing type unit. I either like it or hate it on whatever I patch it into.
    :w:

8. John Murphy

John Murphy Guest

Anyone know how the meek compares to the TL-Audio Fatman stereo compressor.
    Are there any other budget processors worth trying out?

John

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

It's probably unfounded snobbishness, but I can't seem to take seriously any compressor with knobs labelled: vox, drums, sax, etc. (as opposed to attack, release, threshold, and ratio).

10. anonymous

anonymous Guests

By the way, Julian...

Certain types of acoustic piano tracks sound really slammin' when you run them through your HEDD at outrageous settings (like +7 on the Pentode and Triode!) Give it a try sometime!

11. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

JM compressor after a POD guitar amp simulator is very nice sounding for distorted rythem guitar.

12. bgroup

bgroup Guest

I'm totally digging Joe Meek compression! I have an SC2.2 and just picked up a C2 for a couple more channels. I wouldn't use anything else on snare drum. And my second favourite use would be on electric guitars in line after the distressor (micpre-EQ-Distressor-Joe Meek-A/D) for a bit more colour. I like it a lot for busting up pianos as well, and have also found it works really well for some background vocals. It lives in my rack with a UA 1176, Crane Song Trakker, Distressor, Drawmer DL241, and a couple of RNC's (and of course the C2!). I use my Trakker and 1176 the most, but I'd say the Meek gets as much use as my Distressor!

Brent

13. CarmenC

CarmenC Guest

Hey Mike!
    May 11, 6:30pm, I'm scared shitless!
    It feels right, but so ddid the last one ;)
    Going to Mexico ( Playa Del Carmen!) for a week on the honeymoon.
    Wish me luck...
    Peace.
    Carmen

14. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I like the Meek compressor on drum room mics and guitar solos. Sometimes it works on bass, possibly vocals but not usually.

15. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Hey Carmen,
    You won't know unless you try. Good luck and enjoy it.
    Take care and GOOD LUCK,
    Mike

16. gie

gie Guest

I have a JoeMeek VC1Q wich I use alot!

When I'm doing in-your-face-rock-vocals, I use it with slow attack and pretty quick release.
    (i don't use the pre for vocals... A bit to dark, so most of the time I use my Trident Sig2 as a pre, with the meek for compression. However, sometimes on a thin-sounding singer the Meekpre comes in handy...)

I also use it when tracking rockguitars. (solo's and rhythms) Most of the times with medium attack an fastest release! (Slope 3 with just 4 dB's of GR). If the band has two guitarist, I tend to use the MeekPre only on one of them, and a different pre on the other. But the MeekCompression on both!)

Besides that, i sometimes use it on basses, and I tend to use it on Kicks when i want a big boom....

And yes it can work pretty cool to get that squashed piano sound

17. mantovibe

mantovibe Active Member

I hate it

18. anonymous

anonymous Guests

hehehe!
    :D

19. You know how to get the discussion going Julian.

FWIW, I like my VCQ1cs with a RODE NTV in front of a kick. On VO work it can be really nice with the right voice. I just mess with the settings, they make no sense at all if you try to compare it to what you would use on anything else though.

20. planet red

planet red Active Member

Not like it counts at all, but i just used the joe meek sc2 bomb factory trial thing on a bass track, and nothing ive ever used has been able to break up the bass in such a pleasing way. It was pumping and huffing but sounded really cool in the mix. I'm definetly getting a sc2.2, soon since i can pick one up cheap.