1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Joe Meek One Q vs Presonus Eureka?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dickiefunk, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with both of these channel strips?

Any ideas how these compare in sound and performance?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I've had a little experience with the Joe Meek stuff and have been largely unimpressed by it. I think it's just the stigma alone in knowing that he murdered his landlord lady for not paying his rent. I don't give a crap if he was a good engineer. And anybody that wants to make their money on his name shouldn't make any money at it either because of that. So I would say Eureka for what you are considering in every sense of the term. Their stuff also has a particularly good build quality that I have been quite impressed by. And I'm not easily impressed by much of anything in the audio world. Most of it is so poorly assembled, manufactured that they have a lot of gall putting the word Professional on it. Not so with the build quality of the Pre-Sonus gear. It's built extremely well, very impressive internally.

I don't personally own any Pre-Sonus stuff but I might on my next purchase.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Richard, I know you have a Eureka already. The Joe Meek, unless its an original one, is a sidewise step for you. Look in the for sale section here and contact Micheal Hodecker about his ADK AP-1 he has for sale. Its not a strip but its really good. Or maybe go for a big step up and get with audiokid (Chris) about his SPL Goldmic pre he has up. Its a very good unit and both of these are a serious piece of kit.

4. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

Remy - Which Joemeek pres have you tried?

Davedog - I may have the option of kinda swapping my Eureka for the OneQ. I wouldn't consider paying extra money for the OneQ as I don't expect it to be a step up but the extra features and different tone might suit me better.

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I've tried a couple of the Joe Meek units and found them so underwhelming, I don't even remember the model numbers. There was no need to remember them. Particularly so, because I was so underwhelmed and unimpressed by them. And also being a woman, I didn't particularly like their green color paint which I found somewhat unflattering to look at.

Green is NOT my favorite color. It makes my sound feel green and I'm not green.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

6. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

The newer current Meeks are said to be a big improvement on the older Meeks