1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Just curious?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mannyr, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mannyr

mannyr Active Member

You may have heard this a thousand times over, or maybe you just think I'm nuts asking, but here goes.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me how to go about finding contact information for A&R representatives from mostly major record companies who accept unsolicited demo CDs or if anyone has this type of contact information themselves?

Go ahead laugh; but I'm serious - it doesn't hurt to ask right?

Well thanks!

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Very few of the majors will accept unsolicited material.

3. mannyr

mannyr Active Member

I know, I'm just looking for the few A&R's that do, or some sort of work around.. can anyone suggest some tips?

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Make a good record. Sell locally. Put on great shows that builds a clientele in your area. Get major market airplay. Get noticed.

The majors follow the scent of money being made.

There arent A&R's like there used to be per se.

Sorry, but thats the way it is.

Think you might be one of a few wanting to do this? The volume of home-made, bedroom recording, even Indie produced pro level is astounding.

5. mannyr

mannyr Active Member

So you think a typical demo-send-in procedure, even in its most effieciently carried out way, is a waste of time? Does this ever work?

Still its not a bad thing to get contacts to listen to them no?

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I 100% agree with Davedog. Other than that, try Taxi.

In Canada, we work with booking agents that manage recording acts. You start playing, they see you have a following and are worthy of the attention and able to handle yourself as an actual musician/band. No one wants to put energy and money into a loosing battle. You are an investment, plain and simple. That's what it takes. Then, if they smell money, good things start happening. You then are in and you make sure you don't blow it. Its a small world at that level.

7. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Labels will not take unsolicited material because of liability issues, you will need a manager or entertainment attorney to represent you.

8)