1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Just for fun: Your dream drum kit

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Consul, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Consul

Consul Guest

This is the first time I've posted a new topic to this forum, so take it easy on me, please. :D

So, what is you dream kit? Right now, I have a basic Tama RockStar five piece that I'm not very happy with.

Here's what I plan to do...

http://

From this site, you can buy kits of pre-drilled and bearing-edged raw Keller maple shells and lugs that Adonis make themselves (the navigation menu is at the bottom - check out the lugs, they look like a great design). Then you can finish the drums yourself with whatever finish you want. Here's my idea:

Toms, all mounted, 6-ply (Depth x Diameter):
    - 8" x 10"
    - 10" x 12"
    - 12" x 14"

Bass drum, 8-ply (Depth x Diameter): 18" x 20"

Snare, 10-ply (Depth x Diameter): 5.5" x 14"

I was going to do the outside with a cherry-red rub finish and satin overcoat, and oil the inside with something like tung oil, which a lot of drum makers recommend. In fact, some use tung oil as the finish on the outside, too.

Anyway, call me crazy (because I certainly am) but I like the idea of being able to finish my own drum kit exactly the way I want it. This whole crazy scheme would cost me just over $1000 to do, plus shipping and finish materials.

If you could get anything, what would it be?

2. golli

golli Active Member

I've had Pearl....something in the 80's. Then Premier which gave me headache from day 1, especially the hardware, hoops, it never held the tuning properly. Few years back I saw a guy at a consert and was blown away with his snare sound, I knew he had a Signia 14x7" so I bought it from him when I could. Well that snare sounded like f****** crap, thin and unimpressive so I asked him about that consert and he had a Tama 14x6.1/2" maple, well I bought that one and love it. Never had good experience with Premier.
    And since 1996 I've had a Yamaha maple custom set. Consisting of 10x8, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14 toms, and 22x18BD+ 14x5.1/2" Manu Katce snare besides the Tama snare.
    This set is a dream to play and work with it has Die-cast hoops and rock solid Yamaha hardware but I use DW pedals wich are the best for my feet.
    Of course i drool sometimes over other sets like the Gretch's or Slingerland's but I thing I would'nt be improoving to much with them, given the extra expence.
    So I just love my Yamaha set and many of their products.

3. Consul

Consul Guest

I got to beat a little bit on a Yamaha Oak Custom kit. I didn't really hear too much of a difference between that and the good maple ones. I guess it's impressive to tell people you have a kit with oak shells.

I would still love to custom-finish my own kit, though. I think that would impress people more than oak shells. :D

4. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

An old, good, gretch kit pour moi please. :tu:

5. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Active Member

The last time i was ready to make a purchase - i wound up caught between DW and the Mapex Mars Pro.

This is the kit they put out 6 years ago - full through lugs........

Well i ended up with the Mapex....... 7 piece - threw away all of their hardware - went with Pearl Double Braced - hated the snare - so it's either my Pearl 13 x 5 1/2 or my Piccolo ( I set up both when i play - but the 13 is my main) - this with 7 rotos (i know i know - but i just love their sound on certain songs) that are 8" to 20" - am now ordering 4 timbales to finish out the drums in the kit.

I do love the sound of the Mapex Toms and Bass...... so for me it was worth it.

99% of my brass is Zildgian..... Custom "A" - 14"H.H. and 12" recording high hats (depending on where we play), 10" splash, 12" splash, 16" crash, 18 ride crash, 20" ride - along with a 22" sizzle ride (love it for soft jazz) made in 1972 and one paiste 14" light crash.

Double bass pedal is DW - i love the feel...... and i just went to the Pearl remote high hat - which i will tuck in over the center of my bass - right above my knee .......(tis how i am opening up enough room for the timbales).

That's about it - i can't possible reach any more (unless this idea i have of overhead cymbals can be made to work) sort of the kit i always dreamed about - just a bear i had to get this old before i could put it together.

Happy Hunting

Rod

6. shaneperc

shaneperc Member

I'd love to get ahold of a Sonor maple Hi-Lite kit. Those things sounded incredible anytime you heard someone play them. They have them on eBay every once in awhile, but they always go for top dollar.

As voiced above, I, too, like the Yamaha Maple Customs. I think they're one of the best sounding drums that are currently in production. But, it's amazing how "different" (and by "different," I mean BAD), the Maple Custom Absolutes sound!

Rod- At least you didn't buy the DWs! I bought a Collectors kit in 1997, and hated every minute of it. It was so cool to own a set of DWs, but after a billion different head combinations, I realized I was never going to get a good sound out of those things. Listening to other drummers playing DW, I can tell they weren't doing much better than me! From what I can tell, the only good sound from DW drums are what Mick Fleetwood and Joey Kramer are doing (...which is using black-dot heads on everything.) I sold that kit to a friend, and he ended up selling them 2 months later!

7. Rod Gervais

I believe i spent at least 2 weeks playing both kits (I also checked out Tama and Pearl on the onset) ......... experimenting with some different heads - and at the end there were 2 factors that turned the corner for me - the 1st was the sound - The Mapex just had a sweeter sound (i use Pinstrips for my heads - and love em) the second was the overall design....... the DW's have 2 lugs - the Mapex are through lugs - and i have always prefered the latter - the put all of the head tension on the heads - and do not put a twisting tension on the body.

Besides which - the Mapex were a grand less money (although ultimately the sound and design were my only real factors - i would have paid the extra grand to have what i really wanted - but hell- to get what i want and save a grand?)

Happy Hunting

Rod

8. drbam

drbam Guest

I can't think of one single kit that would be my "dream kit." My dream kit would actually be several kits that serve a variety of applications. That being said, I always wanted one of the Sonor kits in African Bubinga that was popular some years ago. It was extremely expensive due to the wood being so rare but to me it was the greatest looking stuff I've ever seen! Still makes me lust and drool whenever I see them! ;)

drbam

9. Consul

Consul Guest

Hrm, I never really thought about the full-length vs. individual lugs issue. Now that I looked, my Tama is full-length lugs, but the kit I would build would be individual lugs (one hole per lug, as it works out). Does this really make a difference in the longevity of the drums?

10. Rod Gervais

One of the things i do in my "real life" is engineering - so i look at everything with that mindset.

The answer to the question is that i truly do not know - the only thing that i do know for sure is that single lugs put a stress into the side of a drum - and thru lugs do not........ and for some weird reason - my mind refuses to accept that this does not make a difference in the sound that comes out the other end...... seeing as the body of the drum adds tone to it.

This may (or may not) have anything to do with reality (after all - we're musicians and deal more with creativity than reality) but it affects my thoughts to the point that it (at the very least) changes my PERCEPTIONS of what a kit brings to me - and that (in the end) is enough.....

Happy Hunting

Rod

11. Consul

Consul Guest

Thank you for the answer, Mr. Gervais. I'll have to look into this further.

:p:

12. idiom

idiom Guest

I would have to say a Pearl Masterworks is it for me. I've had an Export long enough. It's time to upgrade. (Now I have to convince my wife?!!!)

13. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Hey Gang, check out donohodrums.com I truly believe that his kits are the best value ever.

Truly custom drums, keller shells (that DW uses)
    and super cheap. I do not have a set just yet, but they sound awesome. Recording and live.

I love the fact that you can call up the guy who made your drums anytime. Try that with DW, Tama Pearl, etc.
    If you are in the Nashville area, I'm sure you heard of them. If not, call him up! He's a good old boy and loves to talk drums his building techniques.

Sorry to sound like a commercial... but these arethe real deal. Cheers!

14. Rod Gervais

Dave,

great site - those are some nice looking cans..... :c:

I love the fact that they have a thru lug system available........

Happy Hunting

Rod-

15. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Yes! But unfortunately Donoho is no longer doing that because the customers like the "looks" of the traditional style lug system. Oh well.
    His site is pretty outdated, he mentioned to us last time we were in his shop that he needs to revamp it, good thing.

16. Tekker

Tekker Active Member

I was thinking about building my next kit, but those Donoho drums are pretty tempting as it doesn't look like it costs much more than it would be to build it myself... I guess I'll have to see how much time I have available when I actually get the money for a new set.

Thanks for the link! :)

-tkr

17. Rod Gervais

Tek,

I actually have designed the forms required so i can build a truly custom kit - they're (the plans that is) sitting on the hard drive waiting for me to fire up autocad one of these days and begin the construction - now if only there was an extra - say - 15 or 20 hours a day - i would probably get it going.......

Rod

18. Consul

Consul Guest

Ooh, now that would be quite the DIY project.

I'd thought about building my own kit from the ground up, but then I saw these pre-drilled shell kits and thought that that would be a much easier route to take. I don't know if I can commit to a from-scratch drum kit build, what with wanting to build all of my own compressors and mic pres and what-not.

19. Tekker

Tekker Active Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. :D

I don't have the tools to build it completely from scratch (man that really would be a whopper of a DIY project :D

-tkr

20. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Tek, I did the same thing and priced the DIY kits, but they all came out to be the same as buying a kit from Donoho, and hassle free.
    If your still interested in the Donoho's, and I hope your are, he does a WICKED painted sparkle finish. Looks way better than any wrap. Of course it will be a one of a kind, signed by the maker himself.

Btw, He wont put wraps on any drums due to the damening of the shell's resonance. This sparkle finish is killer, you can get any custom color, and a proof sent before manufacture. I beleieve he used to be an autobody guy.

Anyway sorry to sound like andvertisement AGAIN, but those drums are the real deal. I just picked up a Donoho 6.5x 14 maple snare and am VERY pleased with it. Best Ive ever had.

Good luck on the search.

[ August 19, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Dave Stanley ]