1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

just getting started

Discussion in 'Recording' started by musicdad, Mar 2, 2013.

1. musicdad

musicdad Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I am looking for some tips to setting up my small studio in my basement. This is what I have, Crate Pro Audio 82t PA, and a tascam DP-03 portastudio. My question is: Do I, or should I, run the crate in front of the tascam. if so, what is the best way to do it.? Or do i just plug into the tascam and skip the PA. Thank you for your time.:cool:
  2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    That DP-03, is a fine little device. There is no need and there is no reason, to plug your PA into that DP-03, no reason whatsoever. Certainly not as an input device. It's a PA system it ain't a recording system. And your DP-03 is a complete all-in-one digital audio production system in a box.

What you will need is an inexpensive pair of powered control room monitor speakers of at least having 6 inch woofers or larger. Because your PA system is Mono and is wholly inappropriate for control room monitoring use. It's a PA it's not control room monitor speakers. And there is a huge difference between those two. So you've got a half complete recording system from what you're indicating? And a real basement recording studio would have something more than that toy of yours, to use. Because it's a toy. Great for personal enjoyment and pleasure. Certainly not great for a studio. So it's really not a basement studio until you equip it with actual control room style equipment. Otherwise is just a hobby and you shouldn't worry about anything.

So, yeah, you skip the PA. Though it could still come in handy for things such as re-amp of back fed tracks to the PA system. Where in the room, you would place a couple of microphones and record that PA system of what's coming out of that particular track to create a big room and broad stereo feel to an otherwise mono recording of a guitar. And so you would use your PA system on the output of your computer audio interface, to feed the PA system. And you would record the PA system with a couple of microphones as if it was a couple of channels of vocal or other instrumental overdubs. So in that respect, the PA system is usable for that purpose. But it is certainly not a piece of professional recording equipment. It's a hobby device.

So what else are you going to equip your studio with?
    Mx. Remy Ann David