1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Kick mic choice?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by missilanious, Feb 9, 2004.

1. missilanious

missilanious Guest

I'm currently decideing on either buying a RE-20, SM7 ,AE2500, or a D6. I've used every mic (and some I left out such as a D112 which I hate the sound of) I listed except for the AE2500 which is a new mic AT made which is a dynamic and a condenser mic housed in one body as a daul element kick drum mic. Has anyone used this mic yet and what was your responce. Most kick drum mics are usaully under $500 which is the cost of the Ae2500 so I don't wan't to here anything about another mic being a better choice at $300 less because its $300 less but doesn't sound as good, just coments strickly on performance.

2. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

At one time I really loved the D112. Now, I use the Audix D6, which KILLS the D112 in every facet I can think of.(its got that top end SNAP!)

Punk, Metal and ROCK are what I usually work with.

big ups to Kurt Foster for taking the time to set up a demo between the two a few months back!

3. Jim Chapdelaine

Jim Chapdelaine Active Member

My favorite is my RE 20 with the new Yamaha sub mic.
    Big bottom and great articulation. I always find the D112 tubby.
    best,
    chap

4. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I, too, am eying the AE2500 for dedicated Kick Drum duties.

Last time I asked about it, it was too new to get a response. There has to be some users getting some pro experience with these by now, right?

Right now, I'm using a Beta52, and I'm contemplating the D-6 and AE-2500 to add to the arsenal (a very small arsenal, but it's growing)...

Any opinions on the AE2500?

Later :cool:

5. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

RE20 or RE16 with an Eminence 10" speaker...trying an SM7 next week...

Either way, I like to blend in a smidgen (technical term) of Drumagog, to get a variety of voices blended to make a pretty stout kick...

K

6. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

I use an RE20 combined with a Sennheiser 421. Nice thing about these two is that you can use them for a ton of other applications.

7. shortyprs

shortyprs Guest

Audix D6. I don't have an RE-20, SM7 or AE2500 to compare to, but the D6 just sounds great. It would be hard to be unhappy with it.

8. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I love my Sennheiser e602, I did a shootout with D112, RE20, AT25, D4 and it stomps all of them. I'm curious to hear the D6. Please look at this one before buying!

9. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I have several kick drum mics too (D112, D12e, PRA218B, D6...), and the D6 is really just about unbeatable. It doesn't have a bad sound in it!

10. Ron.G

Ron.G Active Member

The D-6 gets my vote also. The D-112 is great for recording a basket ball hitting the pavement.

11. bgavin

bgavin Guest

Has anybody compared the D6 against the ATM25?

12. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

The d6 is a lovely mic, and when i a it with a d112 the d6 sounded much better , until i've recorded all of the drum kit ,with a bassguitar and the soft bassy sound of the audix got lost in the mix imediatly and you could not hear the "puk" of the kick , i switched again to the d112 with the exact same signal chain and i rerecorded the song and the kick sound had much more presence and it was perfectly set in the mix.

13. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

I have had the exact opposite results. I find that the added midrange/hi boost coupled with the lowend of the D6 prevents it from ever getting lost in the mix. No eq, almost never. With the D112, I always boosted a little 1K, and some 5 and 7K. Typically I record punk, metal and rock, and expesially with the punk and metal where the "beater click" is important, it really shines great sound.

What kind of music do you normally record?

ooh, its late, i better go to sleep.

Eric

14. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I think it also matters what kick drum you are using, and how it is tuned and damped. On my kick drum the D6 sounds great, soloed and in a mix but on other kicks, sometimes the D6 can get lost, with little hope for pulling the tick back out ... at those times, I find myself wishing I had used the D112.

15. volki

volki Guest

hey, IMO that's the best combo you could possibly get! :D

don't have an re20 (borrow one sometimes), but i use md421 pe-ri-od. toms, horns, speech, percussion... :tu:

16. shortyprs

shortyprs Guest

Better than a good EQ or a second mic, I work with a very anal retentive drummer. He sits with head phones and tunes his drums until everything comes through perfectly. I just mic him up, lock the door and come back in a day. Almost never fails!

17. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Would you kill me if I suggested Drumagog? :D

18. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Beyer M88.

Still the best Kick drum mic for rock and roll.

Steve

19. missilanious

missilanious Guest

No drumagoog, I like to get the kick sound right off the uhhmmm..... kick. About drums, I'm very anal about recording drums that are tuned right, I can't stand recording a set thats tuned bad; if I don't have a good sound its time to screw with the drum, after thae drums sound good then its all about mic placement and pre colors. Also helps to have have a great drumer which is a no-brainer. And by the way I usaully use a mic about a foot infront of the kick, usaully a cactus, givin the frontskins off or theres an airhole to put a mic near the beater. I'm still very anxious to demo the AE2500, for now I'm leanig towards the RE20 though, always have good results with those, full low, nice click and beater. So I guess no ones used the AE yet?

20. Serge Belley

Serge Belley Guest

Here's a few tips. I've worked at trying to improve my kick sound and I think I am getting there.

Using three tracks.

T1-D112 to capture some bottom and the beater tick.

T2-is my secret weapon, I found out about this one over at electronicmusician.com, How to get great bottom end in your mix. . I use a 10" speaker that I pulled out of a GK100 guitar amp, this little speaker has a monster magnet in it and responds great to the bottom end of the kick. The speaker is hung at the opening of the kick using elastic bands attatched the the lugs of the shell. I wired the speaker to a mic cable and run it to a Radial passive DI (Jenson Iron). Then I go to a mic pre and then a LA4 comp. They call this a reverse transducer. It really grabs the bottom punch at 40-80Hz. You can feel the air move in the mix. I blend in enough into the kick mix to get the effect.

T3-I spent about a year trying to find a program that I could use to midi trigger a kick sample. I just couldn't justify the money on Drumagog just to improve my kick sound. Then about a month ago I found a free VST plugin which has answered my prayers. It is simple to use and does the job. You can find it here: KTDrum Trigger. I use kick sample from Drums From Hell to sweeten the kick sound a bit.

The final kick mix is just a blend of the three and wow, the guys are raving about the kick. I've been asking around and the kick reverse transducer seems to be one of those studio secrets that you don't here about too much on the outside. I work in the basement.