1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Kick/Snare Compressor

Discussion in 'Drums' started by UTS, Jun 19, 2001.

1. UTS

UTS Guest

Hi guys,

I am soon upgrading my compressor rig, getting rid of a couple of units that I don't want to use anymore and replacing them with better sounding units. First I want to purchase a compressor that would suit for kick and/or snare (Rock Music, pretty dirty stuff). I know there's no definite compressor for one particular instrument, but with what kind of unit did you get your results??
    Two channels would be fine, an included gate wouldn't hurt either and the price tag should be around 500-1000$. I don't care if it's new or used.
    So far, I've had an eye on the Focusrite Compounder and some Drawmer unit (can't recall the exact model right now).

Comments welcome.

Markus

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Is this for a 'live' thing or recording? I don't believe I've ever met a compressor with a gate in it that I'd suggest for drums, with the possible exception of the ADR "Compex"...which will run you significantly more than $500-$1000.

I'm also not a big fan of compressing drums unless the drummer is very inconsistent. If you're trying to achieve that 'big drum' sound, try examining the acoustics of your 'recording' room, the drum kit, and of course the drummer.

I have a feeling that if you get those to be pretty decent, while you might want some compression on "room mics", you'll find it unnecessary for 'kick' and 'snare'.

Best of luck.

3. UTS

UTS Guest

Hi Fletcher,

I am looking for a compressor for recording. Actually I couldn't really imaging an adequate drumsound (at least for my uses) without compression and heavy EQing. Usually I compress the $*^t out of the room mics as well as using heavy compression on kick/snare and mild compression on Overheads for making the cymbals sound longer and richer...
    I am recording alot of "extreme" Rock/Metal stuff with down-tuned heavily distorted guitars, lots of fast drumming etc... The drumkit wouldn't have a chance against the rest without compression...

Is the Compounder any good?? It has some build in gates (Expander Gates I think). As well as that particular Drawmer unit, which name I can't remember.

Comments welcome.

Markus

4. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Originally posted by UTS:

Is the Compounder any good?? It has some build in gates (Expander Gates I think). As well as that particular Drawmer unit, which name I can't remember.

The Compounder is OK for what it is. I saw a used one a few weeks ago for $300 and I was tempted to pick it up. If you dig around you'll be able to pick up a used Aphex Expressor or Symetrix 501 for under $300 each. They're both single channel units with no gate but they'll be better then most of the other stuff you'll find. Also, you can't go wrong with a dbx 160 of some type, the X and XT are the affordable ones at around $250-300 used. If you feel like blowing your wad on one piece you could get the 160VU and a single channel runs around $800.

I've never come across a gate in a compressor that I thought was really useful. Get a couple of dedicated gates like the DS201's and you'll much happier.

5. Kris

Kris Guest

Check into a Distressor or two. It's able to get lots of different tones with a few tweaks of the knobs... I particularly like the DBX 160 emulation on kick and snare... Makes me want to buy a DBX 160 . The Distressor is super versatile and can really shape your sounds. I've just recently purchased one and have remixed a few tunes using it on various tracks and 9 times out of 10 I improve the tones so much that I can even eliminate the eq that was on those tracks completely.

6. UTS

UTS Guest

Hi,

thanks for the replies. Yeah. I had an eye on both Distressor and FATSO by Empirical Labs. But I guess they both have to wait a little (I am sure anyhow to purchase them next year). I guess the DBX 160 will be my choice this time. You can get em pretty cheap used so I will get two of them. Thanks again for the tips.

See you.

Markus

7. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

Wow... no one mentioned the RNC... strange...

8. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

By the way, 2 RNC's in the cool little Mercenary rack for like $500 or so. Check thier site...

9. UTS

UTS Guest

Hello,

I already own two RNC's (ordered them a year ago or such). Very nice units. Clean and transparent as advertised. I am mainly using them for Subgroups or the main bus though. I want to have something with a little more character for Kick/Snare.

See you,

Markus

10. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Check out Electronic Musicians' article on "Squeeze boxes" it talks a bit about drum compression particularly with the lower cost units (Feb. 2001).

11. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

How about the API 225L compressor? API...less than $600. Can you say a steal? You'll need to get the 200H 4 space verticle rack minimum though. Still its a great deal and it is API, which IMO is some of THE best stuff around.

Regards,
    Nathan Eldred
    Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.
    http://www.atlasproaudio.com

12. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Distinguished Member

How come I never see anything today about the ADR "Compex"? I always thought it was great.

13. GigaBoy

GigaBoy Member

Markus, be careful, as all DBX160s are not created equal. I'm guessing that, if the distressor has a "160" preset is likely referencing the DBX 160(VU) which is a whole different animal than the more recent 160x. I can certainly recommend the 160VU but am much less excited about using the 160x on drums.

Bill http://www.GigaBoyAV.com

14. miketholen

miketholen Member

I use a Helios 760. I think it is the same as the ADR compex. but I dunno.
    I love them. the can be very subtle or they can really "kill" your signal.
    I often use them on mixes as well.
    they are kinda hard to find but are worth the search for sure. I often grab for them first if I'm not using my Telefunken U73's.
    Mike :D

15. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Originally posted by miketholen:
    I use a Helios 760. I think it is the same as the ADR compex. but I dunno.
    I love them. the can be very subtle or they can really "kill" your signal.
    I often use them on mixes as well.
    they are kinda hard to find but are worth the search for sure. I often grab for them first if I'm not using my Telefunken U73's.

Meanwhile, UTS originally wrote:

Two channels would be fine, an included gate wouldn't hurt either and the price tag should be around 500-1000$. I don't care if it's new or used.

So I'm just curious Mike...exactly where did you find the Helios 760 or the U-73's in good working order for $500-$1,000 USD? A pair of any of the units you listed, unless they're quite ^#$%ed up and in dire need of repair will run significantly more that $500-$1,000 USD.

So, if you wouldn't mind putting your 'vintage gear pecker' back in your Simpson's boxer shorts where it belongs...and try answering the guy's original question...you might find yourself quasi-useful around here.
    Other than that, all I've found you to be is a braggart asshole with a marginal collection of cool old $*^t. Answer the question, or shut the ^#$% up. Is that too difficult a concept?

16. miketholen

miketholen Member

Mr Feltcher wrote:
    Answer the question, or shut the ^#$% up. Is that too difficult a concept?
    I was simply commenting on a comment made by Bob Ohlsson about the ADR Compex. He asked why he doesn't hear about them anymore and I resonded by saying that I use a Helios 760 and I thought that the ADR was the same type of thing.. Sorry , Dude.
    Is Bob wrong for commenting on this unit? :(
    Call him a Dick too then.

Old vintage gear is all I have with the exception of a few Distressors,Studer A827, and some patchbays So I can't comment on anything else.

I was extactic that someone actually commented and wanted to know why noone uses this stuff. So I decided to post with my findings on this unit.

gotta go, Meanwhile Feltcher-
    GO ^#$% YOUR MOTHER. :D :D :D :D :D And suck up to drawmer a little more, you seem good for the job. a $*^t job that is...
    :D

17. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

"Was it a millionaire who said Imagine no possessions" (The real Elvis Costello) Just thought I'd add something that made no sence to this topic other than tying in the whole Telefunken-Beatle thing. Actually I think they used a Fairchild on Ringo's drums.

18. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

Someone posted earlier that a DBX160X was not that great on drums, I beg to differ. The 160X are great on some kicks and snares(sticks and rimshots also). Also they have been known to tame a bass or two. I think they are one of the best buys around($150-$350). Sure they are not as versatile as a Distressor(what is?), but I've done a lot of mixing sessions where just having them around saved the day. In a pinch the 163X also works as well as a DBX166(not the 166a).

19. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Mike, you do come off as a prick and you don't answer people's questions even remotely close to the target. So, get off of Fletcher's back and any other engineer who happens to sell gear for a living (including myself). It's either us or Guitar Mart...what would you prefer? What the hell is wrong with you, do you think western industry should have grinded to a halt in 1975? Why do you think only vintage gear is worthy of being used? Be a man Mike, or is that against your nature?

Regards,
    Nathan Eldred
    Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.
    http://www.atlasproaudio.com

20. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Funny, I noticed that some guy that made the first response to 'UTS's inquiry mentioned something about an 'ADR Compex', but that it was probably over his budget.

Somehow, I figured that Bob was referring to that reference when he asked why so few people discussed them anymore. Anyway you look at it they don't have anything to do with a Helios 760. Nada, zilch, zippo, nothing.