1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Kids recording and money issue???

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. pman

pman Guest

Hi Im going to record children on one song that will be on an album im doing now the song has only two lines and the kids arent trained singers there just local school kids from age 6-8
    But im worried that after i do it and release the album the parents of these kids might look for money off me
    So any suggestions on what to say before we do it???
    Thank you

2. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Give them all a free copy of the CD in lieu of pay!

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Yes, you get the parents to sign off on it all. I've done this for videos being shot at my studio. I had to waive the rights for any profits being made from it.

NEVER, assume a hand shake. Get everything in writing. Have the signature of both parents on your release form.

4. pman

pman Guest

Hey audiokid
    what should i say on the sign off?like if you could write out what u kinda said that would help me
    Thanks dude

5. freaky

freaky Guest

Funny you should mention this... Does anyone know how the Pink Floyd lawsuit turned out? I thought I remembered hearing that the case was tossed because the school was paid, but I can't find a reference to it online...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article395989.ece

6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Hmmm...what's next?

Do I get to sue Pat Benetar since I thrust her into stardome by purchasing so many of her records in the late 70s and early 80s?? I should get a cut of her profits, right??

7. pman

pman Guest

im just going to get the parents to sign to say they allow there kids to do this voluntray and the kids parents who dont sign wont be allowed do it.
    I might buy a dvd player or something to the school

8. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

Just a wavier stating there will be No Monetary compinsation in anyform from proceeds of the DVD, Audio, or any misc items associated with this recording.

Thats should cover it..

9. pman

pman Guest

hey jbrax should i use that exact wording "No Monetary compinsation in anyform from proceeds"?
    Thanks for advice

10. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

You might want to run that through the spell check first.

11. pman

pman Guest

coolio
    but its the best thing to say and that will cover me from some parents?Like its only 4 seconds the kids i need to sing on but its better safe than sorry

12. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

I think its best to be upfront about these things..
    And if they dont want to do that then so be it.. But I think most will...

13. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

you got that right....lol Im a horrible speller :oops:

14. AwedOne

AwedOne Guest

Hey pman,

I take pictures of the customers, some of them kids, at the miniature golf course that is part of the facility I run. I use the photos for web images on our site. I get each kid's parent to sign a photographic Minor Release form to protect myself and the company.

I downloaded the form off the web.

Try here

http://www.findlegalforms.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=611

Talent Release Form for Minors

15. pman

pman Guest

cool guys thanks
    legal forms thanks will do something along the same lines.
    jbrax i am thinking the same as you if i was a kid and someone asked me to be on an album i would be delighted,better safe tho to have a document protecting me

16. pman

pman Guest

Another thing
    What should my exact wording be?