1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

killer computer for my studio

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by dusty, Jan 30, 2003.

1. dusty

dusty Guest

I will need i killer computer for my studio.
    IS better a P4 than the Athlon xp or is better the dual processor from Intel(Xeon)?
    How much Ram i need for open a lot of hungry plug ins?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Dusty,
    You should ask OPUS about this in the Computing Forum. General consensus; an ASUS MOBO with Intel "Northwood" chips is the top configuration. As much ram as you can get is best. I am running 1 gig of ram. Hop over the Computing Forum and check with the "God Father" of DAW’s , OPUS. He won't steer you wrong! ..... Fats
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
    Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. sonicsoundnz

sonicsoundnz Guest

I am up in the air about using AMD or Intel. A dual-processor configuration is not necessarily needed. Most programs do not take advantage of the 2 processors. Pro Tools will not recognize the 2nd processor. Emagic Logic is the only program that I know that will take advantage of the dual processors, but I only know this works on the Mac platform. Look for processors that have a high level 2 cache, memory on the processor. My AMD XP processor has for example 384 K of memory on the processor. Higher end processors for the PC, have a cache of 2 MB or more. If you look at Macs, you will see that a majority of them have a high level 2 cache.

4. gabriel76

gabriel76 Guest

I like my Carillon AC-1. I'm running a P4, but I see they now offer Xeon's also.

Mike G.

5. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Originally posted by Sonicsound:

For the moment, but as PT 6 will be out halfway this year dual CPU support is going to be a reaity (in Digi's words), so if somebody is assembling a new PC for DAW use maybe worth thinking a little ahead and get a dual CPU system that will have power to waste for years, before becoming obsolete; a dual AMD 2800 XP must be something comparable to a TDM system (power-wise), but for a fraction of the price, add a few fast ATA 100 or firewire drives, a healty dose of ram and maybe an IDE controller and you have a killer machine that I think won't impose you limits on power demand (unless you do 150 tracks film mixing ;) ).

Just my thought

L.G.