1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

killer kick drum sound

Discussion in 'Drums' started by tsunami, May 16, 2003.

1. tsunami

tsunami Guest

any body want to share thier experience in getting killer, fat sounding kick drum?

Mic, pre, drum kit... analoque or digital? :p:

2. by

by Guest

Well I recently had a d112 behind a closed skin head (no hole, jazz style kit) I wasn't thinking, I guess, and didn't put another mic on the beater side so I ended up with a "bump" sounding recording, which wasn't what the band wanted. So, being a cheap punk teenager, I found a great sample and replaced each kick hit, careful not to adjust velocities too realistically to the poor drummers wacky performance, and the band loved it. True Story believe it or not.

3. Gregproaudio

Gregproaudio Active Member

I used a d112 in the hole of a nice sounding Premiere kick and doubled it using a trigger.

4. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Among the best results I have had involve a well tuned drum, (most important) and two mics. I placed a sure beta 52 about 3" off center and about 4" away from the batter head, inside the drum. I then took a c-414 in hypercardioid pattern and aimed it right at the soundhole in the resonant head (bout 3" out, slightly off axis away from the beater). Play with the distance between mics rather than phase. Season to taste.

5. tsunami

tsunami Guest

agree with Steve! a well tuned drums is so important to make the whole kit sounds at it best!

I'm always using 2 mics technic like Steve have mentioned.. but spill from other kits into the condenser mic outside the kick drum could be a problem sometimes!...

6. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Agreed, bleed can be an issue. This is why I selected a mic with a hypercardioid pattern. Not enough bleed to worry about as the volume of the drum is way higher. Also you dont need to adjust the eq, really, unless you want to pull some highs out. The 52 is warm and it has a nice snap in this position. This setup lends itself to a very natural sounding kick with balls.

7. rpowell

rpowell Guest

really depends on the project.. but i've used this setup for hip hop and metal projects..
    just another case of me overdoing it..

d112 in the hole..near the middle of the drum..angled between the beater and the the bottom corner (away from the snare)

421 on the hole
    d30 on the front skin.
    i bus all these to one track...get a monster kick..

8. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

I like to use an SM58 or EV 367 in conjunction with a 10" speaker mounted to the face of the kick drum...blend to taste....the mic gets the upper tones while the 10 gives essentially a healthy 'whoomp' (technical term... :D )

9. audiohhh

audiohhh Guest

Fet47 and D-12 both placed right at soundhole-then a U47 3 feet back from kick on floor with tunnel built to kill the OVrhead bleed.

10. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Despite all the fancy, neat ideas behing these great kick sounds, simplicity is more economically feasable.(less time consuming.)
    If you spend ten minutes with ANY mic, well suited to a kick drum, you can get a solid sound to work with. I like the beta 52. With demo stuff i use one mic on the kick. If you want snap move it closer to the batter head. If you want poof, move it away from the batter head.
    Solo the kick and put on a headset. Take the phones into your drum room. You will not be dissapointed.

11. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

I never use more than one mic in a bass drum. but i also think generally you get some bass drum sound into all the OTHER drum mics (especially room mics if you use them) which plays a big part in the final sound.
    it's a drum KIT.

I usually end up with a moving blanket over the bass drum in an effort to control the amount of leakage into the rooms.
    Inside the drum i use another blanket folded over with a heavy weight (a 30lbs sandbag works well) on it to hold it up against the head.
    I use either an SM-7 or RE-20.
    I never compress or gate.
    I tend to put the mic just off center and about a third of the way inside the shell.. i like to angle it at the strike area rather than pointed straight at it.
    Eq- I add bottom at 50 or 60Hz (sometimes an awful lot, depends), roll out (but not TOO much,4-5 dB tops) at somewhere between 350 and 500 Hz, and add some click at 1 kHz or so, sometimes 3k too.

12. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Good drum, deadringers on both heads, D112 through the hole aimed at the beater but angled away from the snare. Adjust the depth 'till you get something that sounds good. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do.. Snap, Thump. :tu: Kurt

13. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I get a very good kick like this

Audix D-4 3" off the head inside angled slightly off center...this is the tick

ATM25 at the front of the drum also at an angle across the drum...This is the Boom

Mix to taste...no eq needed really...although for rockier stuff I'll add a bit of 3K to the tick mic....

Of course I only use ONE kick drum....If someone wants to use theirs then they go elsewhere...

Just kidding but most opt for this drum as it sounds great.....

14. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

If you are going to add anything with an eq, I suggest staying away from a shelving eq on the low freq's. Use a parametric eq if you can.

Even better, move the mic around so you have a decent balance of tick and boom, and when you mix, PULL OUT the freq's you don't like.

This is better because if you add maybe 5db @ 80 hz you could be adding(just a guess)15-20db @ 20 hz. It depends on the eq curve. This sounds like sh!t on a system which will reproduce those freq's. Stay away from a boost. Go for the cut.
    ;)

15. rpowell

rpowell Guest

interesting..i'm kinda the other way..on top of the 3 mic technique i have above..i also do a similar kit mic that someone else mentioned (usually nuked through a fairchild to give some beautiful pumping and breathing and just there in the mix)

isn't it a big bob rock/randy staub trick to feed the low end of the kit (kick/floor toms) back through some bins into the room while tracking?

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I prefer the SM91, since I do mostly pop, ^#$% and soft rock. I am eager to test the new ATM.
    Hi shelving at 5.3k, a little boost around 80 or 60, depending on tuning, size and bass drum techniques. Yes, I do not use the damn gates anymore, for a looong time!
    lol

17. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Alecio, did you mean "funk"? Or is brazil really as much fun as every one tells me. :D

18. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Ouch... Typo of the year. ;)

19. gato1976

gato1976 Guest

What's this tunnel thing...How do you "construct" it? What for? How long should it be?

Thx in advance!!

mariano

20. golli

golli Active Member

WOW we could be all over this typing error :p