1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

killer pre & decent mic OR killer mic & decent pre?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by David French, Nov 7, 2004.

?

Which is 'better': killer pre & decent mic or killer mic & decent pre?

1. killer pre & decent mic

100.0%
  2. killer mic & decent pre

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. there's no telling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I know this is a just a silly subjective question but i'm curious about what you guys think.

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Both...or neither....It always depends on the situation and the source material.

I would personally prefer the killer mic...

3. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Room before artist
    Artist before instrument
    Instrument before mic
    Mic before pre
    Pre before converters......

..... but rules are meant to be broken ;)

4. Krou

Krou Active Member

True dat, though I always assumed a better mic pre to take priority. An SM58 through a Great River preamp could yield some great results, while a U87 through a Digi001 would seem rather useless, imo...?

5. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Well, as Davedog said... "it depends on the situation", but I think that 9 times out of 10 I'll take the U87 through the 001 thanks.
    The pre can only work with the signal it's given.

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Killer mic first - always. But then I have pretty high standards for even a "decent mic pre"

7. huub

huub Guest

i recorded a band with supersweet mics (u89s, dpa 4006, km140's)
    through an .....02r ( from 1990..)
    i was surprised by the decent result! (i even went analog out into my interface..)
    Then again, especially for dynamic mics, the preamp totally makes a difference...

8. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

In my experience great mics still sound great on decent pres- and even sound good through an art.
    what was surprising to me though, was what a great pre did for a budget mic (NT1). the mic sounded like never before, a totally useable sound, the way it never did through an art pre.
    Now, if you can get a great mic and a great pre youre set for life.

9. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

I say either, neither, or both. I tend to buy whatever I'm having a hard-on for at the time.

10. Clayphish

Clayphish Active Member

hands down: steller mic pre first. Unless of course you want your nice mic sounding like a overcast day.

And who said that a decently priced mic is just decent? In my opinion, there are some respectfully priced mics that perform amazingly these days. Mic pre's on the other hand still seem washy unless you spill out the cash.

11. David French

David French Well-Known Member

true.

12. MrPhil

MrPhil Guest

For me it's killer mic over killer pre.
    The sound starts at the source, next stop is the mic.

13. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Ditto:

Ditto, Ditto: