1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

KSM27's as overheads?

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by tonybran, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tonybran

tonybran Guest

i bought a (large diaphragm condeser) KSM27 and a marshall 603s (small diaphragmed condenser) to record acoustic guitar....
    i heard from a friend and an employee at Guitar Center that 2 KSM27's would make "amazing" overheads for drums, any one use them as OH's and if so, good results?

2. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

Go with AKG C1000. I worked at GC as well.

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

C1000....hmmmmmm.......each to his own....I never liked em for anything except remote recording....they operate with a battery.The 603 is a much better sounding mic.As is the 012 Oktava,the ADK SC1/2,actually most other mics....

Sorry....not to be harsh and I hope you get good results. Though the sound of the mic has nothing to do with you working in BanjoMart.

I have not tried the KSM mics for overheads. A Large Diaphram mic has a very wide footprint so all things within its range will be heard. If this is not a concern then they should sound just fine.The biggest problem will be the room. If it is a nice tight room without a lot of issues then you'll ,again, be okay.If its yer basement or bedroom or likewise untreated area then you'll be working extra hard to control a Large D mic as an overhead.

My advice is to get another 603 and use the 27 as a room mic and blend the sound of that in with the drum tracks as a whole.

4. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

You can hear the C1000's here.http://

They wont break the bank and you dont need the battery if you have phantom power. I was comparing them to the KSM27's not the 603's as overheads for drums.

5. tonybran

tonybran Guest

so its better to get another 603s rather than another ksm27???

the guy originally told me "so just get another ksm27 and use them as overheads and then u can use the 603s as a hi-hat mic"

6. p0llen_p0ny

p0llen_p0ny Guest

C1000? Yikes. They sound a bit tinny to my ears. Try a couple of Marshall MXL 2003s. I was very surprised by how good they sounded. But, then again if you can afford the KSMs go for it!

7. Angstaroo

Angstaroo Active Member

Amazing? No. Good? Sure. I've got the KSM27, although I honestly haven't used it with a second one as a stereo pair.. but I've used it as a mono overhead, and I've used KSM32s as overheads. They do a good job, but don't offer much in the way of character. I prefer my Oktava MK-012s, which are much cheaper. But yeah, they will work, and work well. They're just not going to sound "amazing".

Amazing is like.. a matched set of C12s, C414s, or U87s :) Through a couple "spare" Avalons. :D

8. tonybran

tonybran Guest

haha u87's are a tad bit outta my price range.. thanks for the reply guys..i appreciate the knowledgable info

9. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

the groove tube gt55 mics make great overheads. they are a little dark, so you need to run them through a bright preamp, and a little bit of a boost around 10-12k other than that, they sound great for the price range you are talking about.

steve

10. Davedog

Sickyboy.....I have heard the C1000's many many times. My reference to the battery was a bit tongue in cheek as to me this is one of their only good points.I have been recording for over 30 years and am aware of phantom power.....My suggestion was to the original poster regarding whether or not to get another KSM 27 for use as overheads, and while this may be a good choice, with his two mics he already has, he would be better off with two 603's and the 27 for his purposes.

And again....this has nothing to do with your employment at Guitarget. It has been my experience that working at Guitarget or other similar musical instrument emporiums does not greatly increase ones knowledge and expertise on the use and differences in professional/consumer level musical gear. No offense.

11. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

Davedog,

Excuuuuussse ME

12. Davedog

Ahhhh. welll.....again not to be offensive...