1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

L-R to M-S

Discussion in 'Recording' started by protone, Dec 21, 2005.

1. protone

protone Guest

This is probably very stupid thing to ask and I should be able to figure this out by myself... but for some reason (lack of brains) I can't!

I know how to convert MS-signal to L+R, but how to do it other way around? How can I get M and S signal out of regular LR-stereo signal?
  2. zacharym

zacharym Guest

that's a strange question, just due to the fact that those are miccing techniques, and once you'll have m/s setup with a fig 8 and a cardiod mic, I mean assuming you have selectible polar patterns you can switch over to x/y or blumlein with reasonable ease, or just use a regular spaced pair. I'm getting the impression that you've already tracked though, and are in the mixing stage, in which case, you should probably just stick with what you have, because it's probably going to be pretty phasy otherwise.

so basicly, it's a mic choice thing.
  3. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    some mastering desks use sum and difference to play with stereo width and special compression techniques
    L-R and R-L stuff
    part of which used in TV, stereo/mono transmission stuff
  4. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Mid = Left + Right
    Side = Left - Right

Easiest way to get the mid channel is a mono mix of both channels with -6dB gain. To get the side channel invert the polarity of the right channel, mix the result with the left, and drop the gain by 6dB to match the mid.
  5. protone

protone Guest

Thanks IIRs, that's just what I wanted to know.

Zacharym, I understand my question might have sounded strange without any details... sorry.

I asked this because I'd like to tweak M and S channels of my mixes separately. I have been demoing MD3 for powercore and I found the MS mode very usefull. So I was just wondering if I could do the same with what I own.
  6. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    MS processing Rocks 8) and its usually easy to set up once you understand the principle.. I like to do it inside Tracktion racks :D
  7. Falken

Falken Active Member

May 20, 2005
    is it common to eq and compress this way?
  8. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2005
    I'm not sure about "common".. but if I'm manipulating a stereo signal I usually find it more useful to deal with M/S than L/R.
  9. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I use it all the time during mastering if I want to do something to vox only. It's also good for spreading stereo imaging or solidifying the center image.

10. Falken

Falken Active Member

May 20, 2005
    muwahaha....thanks guys
  11. iznogood

iznogood Guest

M/S to L/R is the same process as L/R to M/S

i use waves M/S matrix