1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

LA-2a Question

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by kc8elv, Nov 24, 2003.

1. kc8elv

kc8elv Guest

I would like to know if anyone can tell me if the LA-2A is known for rolling off the high end above 5K in frequency. I built one exactly as it was originally made and it works very good except for the high end drop off. Is this normal for this model by Tektronics. Thanks for any help you can provide.
  2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    All compressors with kill the high end to some degree or another. The LA2A is no different. How much and at what freqs are affected depends on all the things related to using compression. The program material going into the compressor, the compressor attack, release, threshold, ratio and the gain reduction it does. On the LA2A you only get manual control for level (which controls both level and threshold) and for gain reduction which is pretty much ratio but is related to the level control as well as attack and release which are fixed, but vary in settings dependant on the input level and program material content.
  3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    The LA2a was a broacast leveling amplifier.. It does roll off the highs a bit if you hit it real hard and there should be a swithc that puts it into a mode that compresses the high frequencies more.
  4. Mundox

Mundox Guest

I would ask the guys at tech talk forum. There is a lot of people that build that thing.
  5. kc8elv

kc8elv Guest

Thanks for info, You folks confirmed my suspitions about the design causing the roll off. I have designed and built a number of types of equipment but never tried to build a compressor before until a friend asked me to build one for him for his recording studio.