1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Language filtering

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by audiokid, Jan 3, 2002.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

A young, future composer/engineer contacted me today about the business. I quickly started the reply back, responding "check out RO". Post this same question in one of the forums and someone will surely help you with this question. Then I stopped to think, I wonder if I need to worry about her seeing some profanity on RO. It's never bothered me before and I really don't want to sensor our language. We are a creative site and to hell with a few people that can't decipher the difference between swearing and expression. I think this is great that the youth is coming here for help. I don't swear in public and especially around kids although I do with certain friends that I can joke and have fun with.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and hear some of yours.

Chris

2. td

td Guest

I dunno audiokid ..... it's always been my experience that kids have heard it all and it wouldn't be as shocking as us "adults" think.
    No biggie.
    Tony

3. A few of the old ladies have heard a couple too...
    Dagnab it!
    Ted

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ya, at 14 I was well on my way to being street wise. It just kinda jolted me today, I have a little girl and I'm starting to do the father thing I think.

RO is so cool and really, feel free to add to this, a site that has very little BS in it. You can tell the caliber of people here after reading a few threads. Even threads that have swearing in them are solid topics.
    When your holding the reins it feels good to get a little reassurance from members. I want to do the right thing.

5. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. People talk clean around me all the time, and it hasn't influenced the way I talk one f'in bit. :D

6. patrick

patrick Guest

Well damn, when I saw the title of this I thought you were going to tell us about a new plug-in. :D :D :D

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

bad spelling lol, that's why I'm a musicians. No one else will take me and I bet theres a few of us in that department. I'm always running for a lead break or doing passing notes in sentences hehe. I look back at my spelling all the time and wonder, what was I thinking.
    You have a point. :D :D :D

Thanks

8. anonymous

anonymous Guests

As one of the main offenders in both spelling and profane language.. can I divert the topic for a moment to asking you Chris if a free / low cost spell checker has emerged since you last tried to get one for RO? I kneed itt!
    This forum is akin to a car mechanic's forum, if we drop a wrench - the air may turn blue! Part of the venting I geuss. Point noted however. (cough)
    Cheer up! Over on Craig Andertons forum on Music Player a (nice guy) regular posted up about - burning the roof of his mouth with an egg roll - I seriously doubt we could top the banality of that!
    Long live RO, race you to 10,000!

:)

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hi Jules, I'm working on it. The spell checker program still isn't here, I can't believe this! Like, the main thing on the internet is text so you'd think someome would employ it as part of the ubb's. It was available a for awhile and them all hell broke loose.

I believe it's around the corner but who knows.

10. patrick

patrick Guest

hi Chris. Oops, I didn't even notice your typos, so I wasn't referring to your own spelling. (They were typos, weren't they? :) ).

I was only kidding about cracking down, of course, although I notice that some people seem to have developed their own "shorthand" which can actually take longer to read, because my eyes have to stop and focus while I figure it out. But I find that in the worst cases it's easiest just to move on to the next post. Normally, a few typos (motivic variations?) among the cuss words doesn't bother me a bit. (a byte?) :w:

I wish someone would tell me what lol means, though.

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

patrick, hehe, no sweat, you pass the editors test hands down.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Patrick

LOL = laughing out loud
    ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

:w:

13. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

ROFLMFAO!

:D

14. patrick

patrick Guest

Originally posted by audiokid:
    patrick, hehe, no sweat, you pass the editors test hands down.

Thanks, Chris. With Jules' help (thanks Jules :) ) I'm going to work on my vocabulary. When you get enough revenue coming in to make the Spell Checker a paid position, let me know and we'll work something out. :D :D :w:

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

We had a thread going a year back to do with common web shorthand or whatever you call it. Ang, do you remember that?

We should do up one and then add it to a part of the glossary.

I'll look for it.

16. Originally posted by patrick:

I'd go in for cracking down on the bad spellers, though! :D :D :D

Some people could lose a lot of their cyber-personality in the process.

Predrag