1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Laptop/computer help thread

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dupuis, Jul 15, 2007.

1. dupuis

dupuis Guest

need help finding the right computer? these tips should help

Posted ADK audio

JoeH

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI Joel,

your right the older P4 laptops were fine. the issues i spost about have to do with newer Core 2 and the introduction of PCIe and Express slots.

i seriously doubt if you buy a new Sony you will find it will work like your older one did.

SCott
    ADK

3. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

I was at Circuit City the other day and looked at a C2D Sony... can't remember what model....

But anyway, it had TI Firewire and TI cardbus.... but I noticed that that the firewire was sharing an IRQ with the PCIe. I'm assuming that is a problem?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    most likely but not a definate.

hmm may have to take a trip to CC and see what model that is. how much was it and do you know the specs?

Scott

5. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

Honestly, it was about a week ago and I really wasn't paying that much attention once I found out that it was sharing IRQ's....

So this could be wrong, but I think it was like a C2D 1.6-1.8 ghz, 1 gig of RAM, 60-80 GB HD.... no dedicated video (Intel 950 graphics). I think for around $1300-$1500? I can't remember exactly, but I think that's close.

If I have a chance I'll go back by there and check it out again.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

thanks
    well at least it isnt cheaper than me :)

Scott

7. trickyoho

trickyoho Guest

what about a new macbook pro?

-patrick

8. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

Just thought I'd update...

I went by Best Buy today to look at some laptops... and to my surprise I found few Sony's and Toshiba's with TI firewire and cardbus. Thankfully, I wrote down the models this time.

Sony:

$1199.99
    VGN-CR120E/R
    -14.1"
    -Intel C2D T7100
    -2 GB RAM
    -160gb HD

$1549.99
    VGN-AR520E
    -17"
    -Intel C2D T7100
    -2 GB RAM
    -200gb HD

Toshiba:

$1749.99
    -17"
    -Intel C2D T7200
    -2 GB RAM
    -200gb HD
    -NVIDEA 7900 GS

The only thing I don't like about the Sony Laptops is that they both have intergrated graphics.... does this matter with audio? I was under the impression that it was a good idea to have dedicated video... using as much system ram for audio apps... but how important is it?

9. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

oh oops... I forgot to put the Toshiba model # !

It's the P105-S9337

10. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    with the last fwe gens of laptops i have not seen an issue with onboard graphics for audio.

Scott

11. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

So no real noticeable performance difference? I have been looking only for laptops that have dedicated video.... is this a waste of time? I mean, I've seen a few that were perfect except for the fact that they didn't have dedicated video.. and they were cheaper... but I thought I needed the video card to get the best performance.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    nope we have a laptop here that comes in 2 flavors
    with and without onboard video they benchmarks on them are indentical for Audio.

thanks
    scott