1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Laptop for Soft Synth AND DAW Recording?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Kevin_KPSounds, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Hey everyone! New to the forum, so I thought I'd lob a softball out there...

...or not...
    :D

I currently have an HP running Sonar 4 and a Soundblaster Live card with SPDIF RCA ins and outs. I use Soundfonts, Soft Synths, and Sonar and send the signal out to my Tascam TMD_1000 and then back in to the SB Live. I then set the SBLIVE to record "What You Hear" and get the entire computer set up, soft synths and all, recorded via Sound Forge.

Am I crazy to think I can duplicate this set up, or make it even better, with a laptop? I wanna be able to create music on the road, using soft synths and soundfonts, etc. And then when I get home, hook it up to the TMD, run it back into the laptop, and do computer based recording.

If it's possible, what do you think I need? I'm ready to buy a new laptop and interface, but not sure what'll work.

Any clues? Thanks!
    Kev

2. fumoffu

fumoffu Guest

sure it'll work...
    i have a dell laptop with an m-audio firewire 410. it works great w/ cubase 2, the grand, sampletanks, and other vst's (since I mainly use vsts)
    if u need more than 2 channels, you can always hook up ur tascam to ur m-audio.
    or get a better interface w/ many ins.