1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Laptop Recording/Mic/mbox

Discussion in 'Recording' started by magnus1225, Aug 12, 2008.

1. magnus1225

magnus1225 Guest

Hello everyone. I would like to record myself playing some instruments...guitar/accordion/piano. I have a super cheap mic from radioshack. The sound is terrible when I record, I always have to amplify it. I'm not knowledgeable at all in home recording. My friend has an digidesign mbox, so I thought maybe I need one of those to improve the recording. Then I got an email back from him saying that it might just be my mic (i'm the sure mic is a big problem) so he suggested the MXL990. So I guess my actually question, could I just get the mic and get good sound quality? Do I need the mbox? What's the point of the mbox? Are there other rather inexpensive mics anyone wants to recoommend? Thanks everyone!!!
  2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    There are really only 2 things to be concerned with. That'ss your microphone & preamp. So screw the cheap condenser microphone. What you really need is,a couple of Shure SM58's & a reasonablecomputer interface. Go for the M-box 2,if you want ProTools. Otherwise,choose an interface & software, to your liking.

Those are the bare essentials
    Ms. Remy Ann David