1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Latency varies from cubase to sonar???

Discussion in 'Cubase' started by unclejemima, Feb 24, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Active Member

Hi all, i'm new on this forum. Hope i posted in the right area. I look forward to this great site! :D :D

I had to reformat (stupid virus!) my computer(PC), so i re-installed cubase sx3. Since then I have been having HUGE latency issues when using VST's.

Under "device setup" cubase lists my Imput latency at 110.000ms and Output latency at 749.932ms!!! This is BRUTAL. :(

All my audio drivers and so on are bang on current. Funny thing, i have been thinking about going to Sonar, so i gave it a try. I dont mind it, but i learned on cubase and i will stay with it. BUT when i had both cubase and sonar installed, the SAME vst would run BEAUTIFUL, with very low latency, probably in the low 3-5ms range when using Sonar. Then when i fireup cubase, same VST, HUGE latency.

Any idea what could cause this? I am using a garbage onboard sound card, this probably does not help, i will upgrade later, but why would sonar run with lower latency than cubase???

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    God bless,
    -mark :D

2. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

first lose the sound card.. get a real interface... second what happens when you change the buffers manually????

3. unclejemima

unclejemima Active Member

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, i know the soundcard is a weakpoint. I am getting an Alesis IO26, running it into my firewire card. Do i still have to upgrade my soundcard if i use the Alesis IO26 to run the audio?

I have tried adjusting the buffers, with no real success, but i am unsure as of how to properly change them. Any tips?

Its still weird that Sonar is running it better than cubase?!

I greatly appreciate any advice,
    Thank you,
    -mark

4. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Alesio OI26 is ASIO compatible? change ASIO source in Cubase to Asio Alesis driver.

5. Plainfaced

Plainfaced Guest

I reccomend Sonar 6. Ive been a user since version 3. Yes I suppose I am biased, but hey...

6. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

there should be an adjustment under controll panel for the sound card