1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Left Channel: Warm. Right Channel: Bright.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Mockit, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Mockit

Mockit Guest

I was listening to my new favourite band [The Soundtrack Of Our Lives].

The bass player owns a (rather) famous studio in Sweden: http://www.svenskagrammofonstudion.com/welcome.html

Most of their records have been recorded here, and engineered or mixed by the bass player.

I love the sound of their albums.

I noticed while soloing each channel that on many songs, it appears that sounds pannned to the left channel were quite warm, whilst the sounds panned to the right channel had much more top end and mid-range sounds.

Is this a common practice? Is this really what I'm hearing? What could be the advatage of doing this? Would it help to draw a distinction between the guitars in each channel? Do instruments which sound too similar cloud the stereo image if they appear on opposite channels?

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

When you are "soloing" each channel, how are you referencing this? Headphones? Loudspeakers?
    What is YOUR definition of "warm"?
    What you describe could be a blown tweeter...
    Is it "common"? Dunno...do you notice this with other artists' productions?
    Help make the 2 guitars "distinctive"? Hmmmm.maybe.
    And then the last one.No. They usually "cloud up" when put through the SAME channels, as opposed to the opposite...

3. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

I think this is just something you noticed on this particular song/album.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of recorded songs out there, there may be a few others like this.

Or maybe there aren't.

Hmmmm.

4. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Could also be a phasing issue that's only apparent when the mix is panned.