1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Legality/copyright question...

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by millionvalve, Aug 31, 2003.

1. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

Okay, so I had a girl come in and sing. One take we did was of her favorite song which, while reasonably popular in the late 80's R&B world, has never been a stand-out chart buster.

I have used bits and pieces of this in a song. My song is one that I wrote 100% and bears *zero* similarity to the other song. I have REXed (ReCycle) pieces of her singing the first song, and it makes most of the vocal track. As a matter of fact, I wrote the bulk of the song before I thought to add the vocals.

The person who wrote the lyrics could probably notice several lines though they're out of order, and we're talking like maybe 4 sentences out of a pretty wordy original tune.

So, the recording is mine. The song is mine. The (few) lyric lines are borrowed, rearranged and truncated to make new lyrics. Basically, I have done a highly selective remix of the vocals where all the source recordings are mine.

Question: Do I have a problem, legally, or is this sort of a fair-use thing becasue it really sounds nothing like the original and I haven't used their recording?

Thanks-
    .nick

2. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Active Member

Nick,

I've been sitting back and watching this not get answered...... and did not want you to feel deliberately ignored......

I have pondered this - and believe that your best bet would be to contact an attorney who specilizes in this field.

This is a tickilish subject - and although the people here might be experts in the field of music - they are not generally experts (although some may be) in law.

And that sir, is the very best advice i can give to you.

Happy Hunting

Rod

3. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

Rod-

Sage advice.

And thanks for keeping me from hanging out in the cold with this toughie!

best-
    .nick