1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Let's Mix a song together !

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by pcrecord, May 5, 2015.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Hi everyone !
    The recording phase as ended. It's now time to talk about the tracks and mix.

Everyone is allowed to participate, just ask for the link, download the tracks, mix the song and upload an mp3 here and the full mix to the same link in the folder Mixes. ( I will provide the link in private ) We're gonna take a few weeks to mix and then the Mastering phase will start.

It's not a contest, it's just for fun, exchanging, Learning.
    There is no mix guide line except those :
    • Do not change the structure of the song
    • it's a pop/rock song
    • 120bpm at 24bit96khz
    Have fun!

2. pcrecord

@eternalsound @Smashh @Matt @freightgod : It's time to start mixing
    I still have 2 tracks from Smashh to analyse but I'm glad we can start to mix !!

If you hear any defects on the tracks or want to discuss how they were recorded, it's time to do so ;)

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hey, sorry for the lack of responses. Hockey playoffs and golf season....i'll download the tracks and get cracking on a rainy day haha

4. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Yes, I apologize as well. Wallpapering today...then I, too....PC, are we okay to use the shaker that you didn't move yet?

5. pcrecord

I think the shaker and acoustic guitar were not working well with the rest of the song. I left them aside for that reason.
    With 3 elect, a keyb, bass, drum and vocals.. I think we can do a great job. ;)

Take time to listen to the tracks alone and together, if you hear any sonic problems we can discuss them while we mix ;)

6. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Just for the record, I recorded the lead vocal through a Studio Projects B1. First time using it, so comments will be read with interest.

Yeah, I'm a cheapo. Still, I believe a performer should be able to use the tools at hand.

pcrecord likes this.
  7. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Also, I am not confident on drum mixes! Would some or all of you consider doing a drum stereo submix so I can cheat a little? I know it's something I should learn, but probably not in time for this project...we'll see. For now I'm using the first submix that PC uploaded.

8. pcrecord

If you just put the drum tracks on and do panning the already sound ok..
    Give the drums a try first and post some mixes... this is exactly why this project exist !! :)

The vocal sound nice apart from some dynamics and some proximity effect...

9. pcrecord

I hope you guys are gonna come up with some nice mixes.. For those who want to participate write to me in private I'll give you access to the stems ;)

Here's my take on it.. which is pretty conservative, 1 room for the drum and a master reverb (same on all instruments) Minimum EQ and Comp.

Attached Files:

freightgod likes this.
  10. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Nice, PC

11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I'm diggin' it...

Nice mix, Marco. (y) Nice space, depth, balance. It's very smooth and organic. Vocals are warm, but still nicely present. You've got everything going on that I personally like to hear in a mix :

Richness, Warmth, Definition, Clarity, Depth, Space, Air and Silk.

I also like the arrangement - a lot ... it's a fresh approach to a classic song; and the arrangement still fits the song - like when Jose' Feliciano did his version of The Door's Light My Fire ... it was different, but it still paid respect to the song .
    You didn't drift so far away from the original that it became unrecognizable ... LOL ...

There's only one exception to the arrangement that made me cock my head, just a little bit... :confused: - I found the distorted rhythm guitar to be somewhat out of place with this arrangement/approach - particularly in its relation to the EP and the clean rhythm guitar - which I love, BTW.

I'm not saying that it's "a bull in a china shop" kind of thing ... I just found it to be a bit momentarily distracting. But this is a personal taste thing, and only IMHO, of course.

All 'round, you've all done a really nice job with this. ;)

FWIW

-d.

Smashh likes this.
  12. pcrecord

Thanks for the good words Donny.. Originaly it was decided to be a pop rock song and there have been words in the process of recording that the tracks people made was going too soft.. I think the distortion guitar has it's place because it gives a strait rithme to complement the strait drum.. Without it I felt it was mising some strait 8th notes references.. Althought maybe I mixed it too hot for some parts and or it could have been less distorted.

Anyway, I'd be very happy if you had time to mix it too @DonnyThompson ! This part of the project is all about analysing the tracking and share mixing techniques and any insight is welcome ;)

I'm trying to be an open book about this mix, if anyone has questions on how I did something or how I could have done it better, please do ask or comment !
    To those who read this .. please give the mixing a try.

Smashh likes this.
  13. pcrecord

@DonnyThompson : here's a new version with the dist guitar dropped down. I feel it's better working that way ! ;)

Attached Files:

Smashh and eternalsound like this.
  14. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Ya, I like this better.

This is a nice mix, pal.

There's quite a bit of demand lately for remakes of classic songs these days - particularly with TV shows ( and some movies, too) who don't want to pay the licensing for the original versions, which can get fairly pricey. Many prefer to use cover versions because it costs them much less.

If you watch any network TV shows - like Grey's Anatomy, Joan of Arcadia, etc., you'll hear cover versions of popular songs in their episodes. They use cover versions so that the licensing fees are much cheaper than if they'd us the original versions.

It's one of the reasons why, if you buy DVD collections of past TV shows that had the real versions of songs in their episodes - like WKRP In Cincinnati, or even Saturday Night Live, with their weekly musical guests, that the music has either been changed, or sometimes, even deleted entirely, because the companies releasing those old TV show collections on DVD don't want to continue to pay the licensing for the music that was on the episode when it originally aired.

You should try and shop this to a production music library service... they generally pay a one time fee to use it - you won't get any royalties - because you didn't write the song - but those companies will generally handle all the paperwork and clearance through the publishers and the Harry Fox Agency, so all you need to do is to provide the song, mixed, mastered and ready to go. You should look into it. ;)

15. pcrecord

You know the goal was to exchange and learn and leave a trace on RO. But it's quite something that you would think it's worth selling.
    The song and production is not mine and I guess if it ever happens each participants would receive their on part. :love:

Smashh likes this.
  16. eternalsound

eternalsound Active Member

Nice mix PC! I'm not crazy about the instrumentation or the vocal but the mix is all that DT said in post 11. Maybe cut back on the vocal delay though? ...I can hear it slappin'

Overall it sounds like a pro did it to me. :^)

-Chuck

Smashh likes this.
  17. Smashh

Smashh Active Member

Nice mix Marco (y),

You've got everything nice and clear and warm on this end . . I'm finding the rhythm guitar on the right a little distracting . For me i wanna hear something smoother there , maybe the keys and
    make that rhythm guitar thinner so its more percussive maybe and buried a bit .:)

pcrecord likes this.
  18. pcrecord

You are very welcome to do the mix as you please Smashh (and anyone for that mather) ;)

I like your Idea to put the keys instead of the guitar on the left channel. What made me put both guitar left and right was the fact that they share common frequencies and so it makes somekind of balance in the stereo Spectrum..

19. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

for sure you should do what you want with this! Or with a better vocal...I do like the breaking of musical expectations with a classic like this. It was fun.

I'm heavy into another piece of work right now, but I don't think I could improve, this was nicely mixed.

Gotta channel my Lou Rawls...

20. Matt

Matt Active Member

Here is my first go at this. Not a whole lot of processing here, spend a few mins per track eq'ing it and such. As a drummer I added some volume envelopes as I found some of the cymbals too be a bit much. It's my first go so let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Smashh likes this.