1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Let's record a song together !

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by pcrecord, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

THE RECORDING PHASE HAS ENDED, JOIN US WITH THE MIXING :
    http://recording.org/threads/lets-mix-a-song-together.58614/

Hi guys, after having a very good discussions on Master this mix, I thought we could take it from the start.

Why not record a well known easy song together, I might be a dreamer but I think it would be a very instructive experience for all.

It doesn't need to sound like the original, it's just to make the exercise, have fun and learn !
    1. we decide which song and use a midi file as a guide (so we all record at the same speed and have the same structure)
    2. We track what we could or want to do. Yes we may have 20 guitar tracks but it'll be fun.
    3. Discuss on tracking and techniques used
    4. Choose the best tracks to mix (ego aside of course)
    5. Mix exchanges
    6. Mastering exchanges
    7. Create an article with all the process that can stay on RO as a guide
    Disclamer : it's not about who's the best guitar player or signer, It's about recording skills and creating something together !

I don't know about you but, since I'm spending so much time on this forum, I think we could do a project all together, my friends !!

So step 1 : choose a song, let's gather your suggestions !

2. pcrecord

Here are my suggestions :

Hurt so good, John Mellencamp
    Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morisson
    I love rock and roll, Joan Jett
    Have you ever seen the rain – CCR

I hope many will participate !!

3. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

This is a good idea, a fun idea....having done this myself, however, I will warn you that it's a lot more work to manage this kind of thing than you imagine...one lesson learned: Somebody has to step up as producer and just make decisions, regardless of feelings, otherwise chaos rules. Just saying, be ready to step on toes and to have toes stepped on. It can work, though, but it needs to be managed.

pcrecord likes this.
  4. pcrecord

I was thinking of more of a voting process but.. we'll see ;)

Any song suggestions ?

5. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Sounds like fun, I am afraid I'll have to sit it out though, no studio for at least the next 2 months.

6. pcrecord

Who knows, the project might not be finished by then !
    Choosing a song, recording tracks, mixing, mastering.. this is gonna take some time ! But it will indeed be fun (if it takes up)... ;)

7. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

pc, are you gonna host the tracks and up mixes as things progress? I would suggest starting by just picking a song and a tempo, recording ANYTHING to a click and uploading a full length .mp3 or .wav and let's go. You'll have to integrate tracks on your end. File size and hosting might end up being an issue. Dropbox?

I am ready to contribute and give you any support, this COULD be fun, but I warn you...

If you haven't read my thread over on the Acoustica Mixcraft forums from when I tried this over there (and succeeded) you might want to, there are a lot of things to consider which might be better to figure out up front. I went into it blind, and ended up with a great recording, I think, but got more than sick of the whole thing a few times. However I've done a couple collaborations since which have gone much easier because expectations were set.

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17032

8. pcrecord

I guess I'll try to grab enough people to participate and see if everyones agree to work in mp3 posted in the forum. It would make the thread last forever instead of going external host that could disapear overtime. Of course a High res version could be produce as well. . . we will see ;)

I'm glad you want to participate ! Why don't you suggest a couple of songs. (you may have better ideas than me)

9. pcrecord

What's funny with this is that if we have 5 drum performance and mine is not the one we use to mix, I can still mix my drum in and compare with the main project.
    I think it's gonna be interesting.. In the end If we are only 3 persons to participate, we could do it anyway by sharing the load ;)

10. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Song suggestions: either something totally iconocalstic, in which we blow away the genre ("Ring of Fire" for example)...actually, can't go wrong with a Johnny Cash song, we can turn it against type...something offbeat like "The Big Battle", not untimely, actually, we could do a kick ass version of that song :)

Something with two chords, lol

11. pcrecord

Not my cup of tea but I'm open to any song if other participants are ! :)

12. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Ha, well that's the thing. If you pick something that IS your cup of tea then you'll be keeping this alive a lot longer...we could go Canadian and do something like Gordon's Early Morning Rain but rock it...or something. I just genre-bending would be fun. Someone else better make some suggestions, my listening tastes are pretty constricted, I admit!

13. pcrecord

Nah, I'm open minded. I'd like us to pick a song together and not limiting the number of participant because of the song choice.. ;)

14. pcrecord

It could be an Elvis song too !

15. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Ha, that's funny you mentioned Elvis. Was listening to "Love Me Tender" the other day, found out the original dates to the 1860's, public domain f.t.w. I'd write some alternate lyrics, lol

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Something simple so we can focus on the mixing and less on the playing. Example, I'll learn two chords on a guitar and try record that as I think it'll be much more beneficial than just peicing together samples which I frankly don't do. Haven't dabbled with any of that stuff yet.

17. pcrecord

@Matt : I agree about choosing something simple. But I tought about a well known a song instead of composing something. I'm not against your 2 chords Idea, but I'd like it to be a full band, with vocal too.

We'll see what others think! ;)

18. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Well, nobodies seconded any song suggestions yet. So someone mentioned CCR's Have You Ever Seen The Rain. One nice thing about it is there's room for multiple vocalists to take turns on the verses, then unite on the chorus. So there's a second vote for that one. Only three chords, too, I believe...

"All I Have To Do Is Dream" by the Everly Brothers. We can uptempo it, this would kick ass as a rock song. Seriously, sing this in your head at 120 bpm...

I would rather stay away from any riff-based song ("Satisfaction", etc.") so that we're not bound to a previous arrangement as heard in anybody's head, that way we're free to mess with song structure, etc.

19. pcrecord

All I Have To Do Is Dream is a nice song so either this one or have you ever seen the rain which seems like a very easy song. (altought the vocal is a bit high but easy for me to do)

20. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Vocal's only high if you do it in the original key. I think the fun part of this will be to do a unique cover, not just an homage to the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.