Let's share some reverb and compressor presets for drums!!!

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by tranqs, Dec 5, 2005.

1. tranqs

tranqs Guest

Hi guys,

What do you think to share some presets of your personal library of settings???
    I think that's a good way to learn and improve you mix skills!!!
    I'll start to put something that a friend of mine developed and works fine at my studio.

COMPRESSOR:
    This is for use with the drums overheads mics and with the PSP VINTAGE WARMER

knee 30%
    Speed 0
    Release 1
    Drive +6.33
    Ceiling -0.6
    Low +2.64 / 62.5hz
    High +3.05 / 14.72k
    Mix 66%
    Out -0.3
    Link On
    Stereo On
    Multiband mode

REVERB:
    This is for snare. You can use it with a lot of reverb plugins:
    rev room/tight room/small room
    Rev room 1.2 S
    Pre delay 46mS
    HF damping 5.6khz
    LPF 3.2khZ
    HPF 160Hz

2. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

I turn it to 12. Everything is better at 12.

3. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

Mine only goes to 11!

WTF?!

4. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Get a Fender.

5. ErikFlipside

ErikFlipside Guest

My Samick goes to 3.

...you get what you pay for. :roll:

6. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

This could be an incredible thread for us beginners if a few of the advanced users shared a few favorite settings for mixing/tracking. :cool:

7. Well why don't you just make 10 the highest and have it louder than the others?

8. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

LA2A vocals:

Gain: 12:00
    Peak Reduction: 11:00
    Switched to "compress"
    Power switch "on"

There. All too easy. :wink:

9. My favorite settings are the ones that sound good. I never look at knobs. McCheese tried to get me on that "set it at 12" fad he was into once, but I couldn't get my groove on looking at knobs. It threw my whole rhythm off.

10. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

There's knobs??? WTF!!

11. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

Re: Let's share some reverb and compressor presets for drums

:roll:

Will people ever search for this question before posting? And subsequently stop posting this question over and over and over and over.....

Here we go again.

12. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Don't be hasty. There's nothing wrong with asking old questions anew, many people have learned new stuff to share since the last time they answered a question. New people with new ideas have arrived since the last post as well. It would be a big mistake to rely exclusivley on old data and prevent new data from being explored.

I say it's a great question. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

It's just unfortunate that no one is taking advantage of the opportunity to make this forum a little better by offering some insights on the settings question. Seems like many folks are afraid to share their settings because they feel as though they will be immediately attacked by hasty folks.

13. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

It's a terrible question, as it has no answer. Never will.

How were the instruments tracked?

What kind of sound are you starting with, and what kind of sound do you want to wind up with?

Should the drums sound like they're in a closet, or in a cathedral? Obviously the settings for those two scenarios are practically opposite of each other.

What kind of compressor/reverb are you using? Different compressors and reverbs sound completely different, and 2 different compressors (or reverbs) with identical settings can sound drastically different.

The only real answer is to learn your pieces of gear, learn the sounds you want and don't want, and learn what happens when you push 'x" button or turn 'y' knob. Experiment to find the sound that you want. Take the initiative to learn WHY you like that sound. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Threads along these lines exist in abundance on this site, and I'm sure that a simple, quick search would reveal that. Those threads come to the same conclusion: that there are no magic settings that anyone uses.

14. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Then why do they spend so much energy exploring a variety of specific example settings in Bobby Owsinski's, "Mixing Engineer's Handbook"?

Most importantly why are you being so aggressive, this question is clearly *not* inconveniencing you in any way. Folks like myself and the person who started with post would enjoy hearing a couple basic ideas and example settings from the brilliant folks here. Nobody is asking anyone to post "a complete education on every aspect of processing", we're just looking for one or two very basic reference guidelines/tips.

It's a great question, which is why all the best mixing books dedicate a great deal of energy to addressing it. I truly do not understand your need to tell other people who are just trying to learn that their questions are invalid. That's perplexing behavior. What on earth do you get out of that? :cool:

15. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

No hostility intended.

I'm just not giving the answer that you want to hear.

That's also why others above are being sarcastic and humorous in their replies.

16. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

All due respect, don't speak for others. I think they were just having fun and joking around, which is good, because silliness is important. I've made my point, no sense in overstating it. I'm not looking for "magic settings", just a couple basic beginner tips, i.e. "here's a starting point for EQing the kick drum in a hard rock band", etc. Cheers. :cool:

17. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

He's right, there is no correct answer.
    I think the better answer for the initial poster has got to be a description of the knobs on the compressor and what they accomplish.
    Obviously EQ is another story as far as "getting started" goes, but that can be argued the same as well. The setting I use to make my electic-Industrial kick drum go BOOM obviously has no application to the hard rock guy who cannot have the kick drum consume all in its path that way.
    It just
    doesnt
    make
    sense.

18. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Obviously no one is asking for "one all encompassing setting which applies to every possible scenario", just some simple starting points (which can easily be qualified) i.e. "Here's one method to reverb a snare for alternative rock material". :cool:

The difference between good engineers and engineers is that good engineers make complex things seem simple instead of making simple things seem complex. There *is* such a thing as focusing on one point at a time, which is of course exactly how you learned in the first place. At some point someone started sharing basic examples with you, they didn't just keep telling you, "There is no correct answer". :cool:

So far all the skilled engineers I've worked with offline had very confident, specific answers to practically any question, no matter how broad-- and had a natural interest in discussing settings and techniques. Maybe I've just been lucky. :D

19. xian

xian Guest

What the ^#$% does WTF mean?

20. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

it means
    what

the

^#$%