1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Let's talk compressors and EQ's.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Frayedman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Frayedman

Frayedman Guest

I posted this in another forum, but I guess it's more appropriate here:

I'm making the switch from PC to Mac on my laptop, although I'll still be using PC in my studio. I use Cubase 4 in the studio and Cubase Studio 4 on my laptop. I've used freeware plugins like Kjaerhus Classics and Pushtec on my laptop and installed the same plugs in the studio, that way I can transfer projects without any hassle. However, these plugins are not available for Mac, and I haven't found freeware for Mac of the same quality. I use two UAD-1's in the studio, so I'm into vintage emulations.

It seems the time has come to buy some native plugs that I can install both on my Macbook Pro and studio PC. The most important ones are a good EQ and compressor. They must be availabe for both Mac and PC, not use a dongle (I hate them, and I already need a Steinberg Key for both my systems) and be able to install on at least two machines. Also, it would be great if they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

EQ: I love the UAD Cambridge EQ for it's number of available bands and filters, great GUI, sound and ease of use. Is there any native equivalent? I guess the Waves and Sonnox plugs get close, but they are really expensive.

Compressor: I really like the interface of the UAD 1176 plug, and if there is a native plug that has some vintage bite to it, like the 1176 or LA2A, that would be cool. A good GR meter is nice, too.

BTW, I've looked into the Wave Arts Power Suite 5. Not very vintage, but the plugs look good and the license agreement is very generous. I can actually install it one three machines without a dongle. Anyone tried it? Other recommendations?

Cheers,

Torbiz

2. natural

natural Active Member

try here

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=1208112&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1208112&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=14283&daterange=1&newerval=12&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1208112

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I have used WaveArts Power Suite and love it! It's a great set of tools designed and engineered by folks who care a LOT about making it be as flexible and powerful as possible.

Money VERY well spent!

4. djmhiratzka

djmhiratzka Guest

Sonalksis makes some quality stuff, I stopped using Waves compressors and EQs as soon as I got them.