1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Lets vent about pro-tools, together.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ShoeBoxDude, May 30, 2005.

1. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

So for the second day in a row, this error message-6088 comes up in the middle of recording! Making me look like a complete ass with anyone I record. Of course this only happened once I updated to 6.7, and the only known fix is to buy some other firewire card that is recommended although other users say it did not help all that much.

I HATE YOU DIGIDESIGN! LEARN HOW TO MAKE SOFTWARE WORK.

ughhhh!

back to pissing off the vocalist.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

'mod'

Getter' done :!: :!: :!:

3. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

funny you say that 6.7 works beautifully for me. Never had a problem once. Are you using a less powerful pc? I run an Imac with a gig of ram and I only get that error when I'm running over 20 tracks at 24/96 which honestly with a non HD set up is not really that good of an idea. Is it ok to bitch about how cubase constantly screwing up my songs switching sample rates by itself, the drivers would constantly switch and mess up, couldn't ever upload a song into it without it sounding like it was recorded in the 30's. GOD I HATE STEINBERG WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE SOFTWARE THAT WORKS UGHHHH! Point is this happens with every software.

4. axel

axel Guest

ugghhh.... bitchin' about steinberg, count me in! :lol:
    yeah point made, every software has sometimes a life on it's own, but some just program utterly unreliable, bad sounding crap with ugly GUI's like S...

mmhhh... bitchin' about S...

5. radioliver

radioliver Guest

Sonar 4 works perfectly for me!

6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

Dont' even get me started in on the Sonar Cakewalf family I couldn't even get that crap to work on my pc.

7. axel

axel Guest

ugghhh... yeah.

8. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

pro-toools

The computer is pretty decent (considering its a pc with protools which is seeming like it was a stupid idea in the first place)

Its a P4 3.4, 2g ram. I think the problem is something to do with firewire drivers/cards something like that. Im not really looking for a solution, i just wanted to let off some steam!

I used to use nuendo, which seemed to work stellar on every interface I ever had, including 002.

ahhhwell.

9. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i was about to say thats allmost the same setup i have and cubase is running great with my old delta1010 pci interface. the project im working on right now has been a 2 year project same songs going from 3 difrant PCs and before that an 8track SVHS deck. the thing that always got me was the lyrics on a song that was first recorded by me on a yamaha md8, the words go like this;

"its not workin, but youll try and do it agien..."

that was agravating.

i hate edititing all i did was change the lyrics to the right ones, please pardon my dyslexia.

10. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

So before you get all bent outta shape make sure its not something else screwing up. You should always check compatability even when upgrading just to make sure everything's gonna work ok. I've heard people did have problems with 6.7 but that it was quickly fixed with 6.9 so maybe you should try to upgrade again. It just baffles me when people get so pissed at digidesign when what I use works great everytime. Also don't upgrade unless you have to(which you may in this case). I know guys still using 5.x and their stuff sounds great.

11. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

digidesign; scamming bastards?

I think I single out digidesign because their ignorant.

for instance, pro-tools LE doesnt have any delay compensation, if your doing some serious mixing this doesn't really cut it. Any newer version of Nuendo or Cubase, or problably any other software has this, even on auxes. And whats with beat detective LE? two tracks? You know they just cut it out of the software to make us mad. their should be an option at least to by beat detective full for LE. And as CPUs get more powerful these are their ways to make us still want to give them $10,000 dollars.

12. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

MS is involved with Digidesign.. So what do you expect? GIMME YOUR MONEY!.

13. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

You're using LE. Did you buy a Digi tested system? Doesn't sound like it. It isn't their fault. They can't design for every possible combination of hardware and drivers. Nobody can.

14. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Re: digidesign; scamming bastards?

Delay compensation in an LE system is kind of moot isn't it? There is no such thing as totally accurate delay compensation in any DAW. I will get falmed here, but I have talked to software guru's at Nuendo, Digi and SAW. Delay compensation is averaged and relative.

You also have to remember that LE systems are marketed to the home recordist, not the pro market. The pro version has delay compensation.

You do not understand Digi or TDM, otherwise you wouldn't make such an uneducated statement. The LE system cannot do what a TDM system can do. It cannot process in real time with next to no latency. One is floating one is fixed, and the list goes on.

If you don't like what it does, don't buy it.

15. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

MS is not involved with Digi.

16. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

ummm

Uh-oh, a proud digi salesperson.

Look, i know the difference between tdm and le systems.

Im just saying, even though le is aimed towards musicans and enthusiasts, I think they should include a few more features from TDM sofware. Hardware limitations are fair, im not asking for things out of a digi002 that arent possible. Im not asking my digi to perform like a 192. But software wise, why cut a few good lines of code for us LE people.

Im not to sure about your average delay compensation statement. I can pull up a session in nuendo 2, with the same audio region on every track, go crazy with plugins, even uad plugs, and open up auxes untill my hearts content. there will still not be any phasing or different delays on channels and what not. Perhaps tdm works differently.

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Correct Brent MS has no involvement with Digi. Actually Digi has always made sure they have complete compatability with Apple but PC's seem to be an afterthought. The opposite seems to be true with Steinberg.

HansAM, it's obvious you hate MS and that's okay, you're entitled to that but please don't make stuff up.

BTW, don't upgrade if you don't need to especially if you make your living with your DAW. Let someone else be the Guinea Pig. Stability is the key here and new versions usually have bugs.

18. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Re: ummm

Your delay compensation is not correct for every plug. The DAW companies do not have a built in detector for delay. They are relying on the plug in manufacturers numbers. Those numbers are averaged. Plug in latency is not constant, when functions change. Talk to the plug in designers like Waves. They will tell you.

19. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Huh? Strange. I studying at "norwegian sound school" and i heard someone say that MS had bought a big amount of DigiDesign. And that they are shifting priorities to the PC section and making m-audio Pro-tools sertified...??? Is this all bullcrap then?

20. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

This is changing. But of course, there are far more registered Mac uses than PC. So hence the emphasis on Mac. In the beginning, Mac was a better machine to use. Now, the differences are narrowing.

Now that the plug in companies are releasing the same plug ins for both platforms, with the same function and automation options, things are better.

I have friends on the inside of Digi. I think they will continue to get chummy with windows, as we have seen with the Venue, which uses Windows for its OS. It wouldn't surprise me if people get hacked at Apple, with all of these hardware and OS upgrades that make us spend more money on Digi and plug in software everytime they want. I wouldn't be surprised to see a move to a proprietary PT CPU/Server and OS in the future. Maybe we can but the crap and work on improving the sonic performance for once.