1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Level discrepancy...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by robbyc23, Apr 28, 2004.

1. robbyc23

robbyc23 Guest

Was that an informative topic, or what?

Anyway, I'm currently using a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 desk going into an Alesis HD24, using the direct out/returns on each channel.
    Now, this is wonderful except for the fact that when the desk is overdriving, the HD24's meters are, of course, showing -16dB (or thereabouts (not the most accurate)).
    This has worked fine, so far, by adjusting the tape returns on the desk and/or mixing on computer and normalising/raising the levels.

Still, I always feel like I'm wasting bits....

My question is: Is there some sort of transformer-type, level-adjusting, multi-channel thingy on the market that would give me a higher level into my HD24, or am I talking crap?

Thanks in advance,

Robby
    http://www.robbycollins.com

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Open the channel gain more. I have a Ghost into an HD24 and theres not ever a problem with gain.I have to watch my gain staging closely at recording to avoid any of those crappy sounding digital overs.I usually get the Alesis up to around -3 and then I'm happy...Some signals, however, sound better if its cruisin along at +6 or so....as long as no red shows I'm cool....the Alesis is SERIOUS when it shows red but other than that its all good.

3. EricK

EricK Guest

According to page 32 (34 in the pdf) of the manual I downloaded off of the Spirit web site: The tape sends (of the mixer) come factory configured for -10dBv output.

The HD24 wants to see a +4dBu nominal input level. According to the mixer manual, you can change the ouput level to +4dBu by removing a couple of resistors. The difference between -10dBv and +4dBu is about 12db. So the change will get you about 12dB more to the recorder.

4. robbyc23

robbyc23 Guest

Thanks Lads,

Just the info I needed...