1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

limiter settings

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bobbo, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

I've been in the past, on tracking of the kick, just been using some light 2.5-3/1 compression but someone on another post/forum said that they use a limiter on tracking and compress later. Now I want to try that but, what attack and release settings should I use? I have vari-mu and optical to choose from too. I am using this setting to get a metal/new rock sound where I want ever kick to be somewhat consistant with out spending money and time with triggers. Plus I know it is part of the drummers duty too but we all don't get a perfect drummer every time. And I just want to make them sound good so I sound good, you know what I mean.

thanks
    bob

2. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

I think people tend to use a limiter when tracking as a safety net so they don't overload their converters with the stray drum hit that is 5 times louder than the others. I don't know that you would really want to squash your kick enough to make every hit the same while you are just tracking.