1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Linked Mixer from one output hardwired is this OK or not

Discussion in 'Recording' started by keithslarke, Jan 14, 2012.

  1. keithslarke

    keithslarke Active Member

    I want to use a single stereo bus output to connect to multi track recorder and I want the stereo bus connected to all of the 8 channels in pairs so 4 stereo pairs

    If I take the single bus O/P and daisy chain (or connect in parrallel) to the recorders 8 channels would this be OK or do you have to have a channel per input.
  2. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    Can I ask why you want to do this? Duplicating tracks is easy and flawless in a DAW once you've imported the first stereo track. It just seems like a waste of 6 channels.
  3. keithslarke

    keithslarke Active Member

    I am using an external recorder that has 8 tracks. Currently I only have 1 stereo bus available for the recorder and it is connected to track 1 and 2. Yes you are correct about using the DAW however I specifically do not want to use the PC and sequencer at this stage.

    Now this recording system is only for me to use and I want to layer instruments on the other tracks. So to do this I currenly have to swap the recorded tracks to free up track 1 and 2. If the bus was connected to all tracks then I could simply record on track 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8. I realise I can get multi bus mixers but this question is to simply ask is it ok to take one mixer output and connect it directly to 4 high impeadance inputs as this would solve the problem.
  4. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    Yes, depending on the actual input and output characteristics of the models of the mixer and the recorder that you have, it would probably work. You are unlikely to be able to buy cables for this job unless you stacked up standard Y-pieces, so you should be prepared to have to wire the cables yourself.

    If you were using an Alesis HD24 as your recorder, you would just push a couple of buttons to duplicate inputs to other tracks. Alesis calls if "track normalling".
  5. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    What is the mixer you are using?
    There might be a better way.

    While I agree with Boswell that it could be done, it can't be done well without proper splitters IMO. With what you describe the "best" way would be to physically move the jack plugs.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  6. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    Your only really criteria is the output from your mixer. If it is a balanced XLR output and/or TRS and is capable of at least +18 DBM, hopefully, +24 DBM, which would mean it is capable of driving a 600 ohm load, you're likely to be OK. That is if you are driving 10,000 ohm balanced or unbalanced inputs. So the only kind of splitter you would need would be passive cables. Actual splitter transformers are certainly not necessary if the above criteria is met. However having an active line level distribution amplifier would ensure you of no problems. But those aren't necessarily inexpensive and neither are splitter transformers. Cables are cheap and can be made quite inexpensively.

    I have to split now.
    Mx. Remy Ann David
  7. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    Thats why it would be handy to know what mixer and what recorder. If there were aux buses those could be utilized as well.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  8. keithslarke

    keithslarke Active Member

    my set up is currently a
    Zoom r24
    Fostex 812 (I realise this has 8 buses but I need to use the other buses for other requirements)
    Cubase (not being used in this mode)

    I am using a Zoom R24 recorder and interesting point from Boswell that there may be a mode to do this at the recorder. I have checked and that I could not see any "normaling" option on the Zoom R24. Maybe the forums knows otherwise for this unit?
  9. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    The ALESIS HD 24 has that feature for normaling internally. I'm not sure about that Zoom unit? Or whether its output is capable of driving a 2500 ohm load, or less? Although it most likely may be able to. Methinks it should. And a straight wire circuit even in that manner may likely be better than feeding additional circuitry to carry that out. Otherwise, GET A PATCHBAY. Cheap ones already have normaled capabilities of some sort or another. However one that you might have to wire yourself may be necessary to create such a broad normal scheme as opposed to a gaggle of crappy Radio Schlock adapter cords. Especially since good adapter cords, from your local music store, may well out cost a simple patchbay.

    I like big patchbays especially since I think my TT's are too small.
    Mx. Remy Ann David
  10. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    I really like the idea of a patchbay. No extra configuring necessary. It just needs to have at least 10 ports-2 for the Zoom and 8 for the Fostex. Move the cables to the desired inputs on the Fostex. Easy as pie.
  11. keithslarke

    keithslarke Active Member

    Thanks for all your help.

    I did not particularly want to increase any equipment so a patch board would not have been any good.
    Having read my Fostex 812 manual it clearly suggests that you can do this. For information on impedance with regard to guitars audio mixers and valves I found this article which I found extremely useful

    Impedance FAQ
  12. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    The Zoom R24 has 50K Ohm line inputs. You should be able to parallel several of these up without causing the Fostex 812 any trouble.

Share This Page