1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

linking the channels

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by BROKENBONES, May 3, 2005.

1. BROKENBONES

BROKENBONES Active Member

i've been linking channels together using a 1/4" unbalnced lead from output to di input.is there any advantage in using the balanced cables i.e xlr to xlr?does it really matter?

2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

If you use an XLR-XLR you'll be sending a line level signal into the next preamp...... way too hot.
    Not sure on the reason why the 1/4" cable need to be unbalanced, but Seb says to use one in the manual, so I'm sure there is a valid reason.
    Maybe he will explain?

3. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

The D.I input is unbalanced and is a pure trip into the grid of the valve.It's a nice journey with no peaks or trophs.
    There's no real advantage to using balanced cables when linking channels and as Mark says it's quite a Hot signal for the valve to be nice to.
    Linking channels is a great way to get more colour out of the unit and is one of the reasons I designed the three way pad to handle hotter signals than your average design.

4. BROKENBONES

BROKENBONES Active Member

thanks that makes sense.i've been dialing the negative 15db pad on the second linked channel with exceptional warmth and tones.pleanty of gain to play with. :wink: