1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Linux in the Professional Recording Studio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by llornkcor, Mar 13, 2003.

1. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

Nice article about linux in the pro studio environment.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5847717353.html

2. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

Interesting article. I also poked around the website somewhat. I'm curious, though. Do you know of any DAW programs cureently available that work under Linux. Something relatively compatible to Cubase, Logic etc.?

3. p0rk

p0rk Guest

(Dead Link Removed)

:c:

4. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

Thanks, pOrk! Man, there is a lot of info. out there. This is going to take some time to deliberate.

5. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

There are rumors about that Steinberg has Linux Cubase but hasnt released it. I would tend to believe that rumour, as Linux is _big_ deal in Germany, according to my German cohorts.
    Perhaps if we barrage them with Linux Cubase requests, they would release it

6. DarrenR

DarrenR Guest

If I remember rightly Cubase used on to run the SGI Workstations, so Steinberg certainly have the Unix experience and codebase.

Would be cool to see one of the big applications running on Linux. I recently installed redhat 8.0 on a machine here and I am very impressed with the stability and speed of it. In the meantime my current favourite Unix DAW has an Apple logo on the side of it ;)

Daz.

7. suspec57

suspec57 Guest

That would be nice if Cubase SX could be Linux. All I'm waiting for is someone to come out with a stable daw for linux so i can make the full switcht o linux.

8. suspec57

suspec57 Guest

CHeck this out Bristol synth

9. Energizer

Energizer Guest

I remember that Nuendo was planned for Irix wich is a unix variant. Then they dropped the idea.
    It is possible however that a good part of the recent Steinberg softwares is cross-plateform.
    MacOSX being another unix clone too (although the GUI makes the difference).

Concerning wine, so far i hadn't much success with big apps. CDXtract works reasonnably well on akaiCD, awave (an old 6.x) works too.
    SfArk-xtc works but not the full version.

But to go back on the audio-midi sequencer subject , i use MusE theses days and it works pretty well.
    There are minor issues, but the midi side is stable. Audio is promising.
    It is not as full featured, but I won't run CubaseSX or Logic anymore.
    MusE will work well for "amateur" musiciens.
    Pro users will lack synchro features, advanced audio editing, and complete VST support maybe.