1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Live recording: group track bounce or aux send?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by chompersdeluxe, Nov 20, 2009.

1. When recording off of a live console, do you prefer using the group tracks or aux sends as your audio source into your DAW?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Neither. Use the channel direct outs (pre-EQ, pre-fader) if the live mixer has them, or, if not, the insert sends.

If you use the insert sends, you will need correctly-wired looms with the TRS plugs at the mixer end having tip wired to the ring, and TS plugs at the other end. Never use the "half-inserted" or "first-click" kludge, especially on a board that is being used for live sound.

3. I agree, not absolutely sure if the crappy console I'm going to have to use has normalized plugs or not for the insert sends (its a behringer...ugh!) but I only have a few hours to get together my set up for recording and sound for a benefit concert. I always enjoy not knowing anything until a few hours before the gig ya know?

If the insert sends and returns aren't on a shared normalized plug, do I typically have to supply a signal back into the return for the channel to still go to the stereo main outs? I don't recall signal flow well enough to remember.

4. GentleG

GentleG Guest

how about splitting the mic-signal before it is even near the live-board...

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

It depends on the console. Many of the higher-end consoles have sends that are permanently active and returns that can be switched in as an alternative to propagating the pre-amp output into EQ section. The unmentionable board that you mention will not be like that. It will have channel direct outs and/or TRS insert jacks (tip=send, ring=return).