1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Live recording with a multitrack and mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by chriscrass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. chriscrass

chriscrass Guest

Hi. I have a BOSS BR-864 multi-track recorder. It's an 8-track with one XLR input and one 1/4" jack input. I also have an 8-channel mixer with a Main Out, a Control Room Out, FX Send, Tape Out/Tape In, and Phones jacks. I also have a few microphones, monitors, a preamp, a DI box, and a compressor.

My question is, would any of you know if it's possible, with the equipment that I have, to record multiple instruments simultaneously onto separate tracks? For example: guitar to track 1, bass guitar to track 2, vocals to track 3 etc. That way, after we record simultaneously, I can work on and edit each track separately.

Thanks in advance,
  2. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

Mar 26, 2005
    With only one input on the multitrack I would have to say no, not possible to do 8 simultaneously onto seperate tracks.
  3. Arrowfan

Arrowfan Guest

I've never heard of a multi-track recorder that has so few inputs! But, alas - here's an excerpt from the specs....

I suppose its design is meant for home studio work, layering etc.
  4. Wholehearted

Wholehearted Guest

What you are looking for is the Boss BR1600 with 8 inputs. Designed for recording a band. Most other units in the lower price range have plenty of tracks but only stereo input at best!

hope this helps!
  5. chriscrass

chriscrass Guest

OK, thanks. I'm thinking maybe I'll look into a soundcard with multiple inputs so I can record to PC when I need to record simultaneous tracks.
  6. Arrowfan

Arrowfan Guest

Now you're talkin... only call it an audio interface - cards are for gamblers!

3 units I can highly recommend:

RME Fireface800
    MOTU 828 mkII
    MOTU 896HD
  7. Bridge

Bridge Guest

:lol: i like that hehe