1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Live Soundcard Suggestions - 8outs??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by progresschrome, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hi,

I need a soundcard to use live that will allow me to have a stereo click track in my in-ears as well as outputs to run backing tracks, vst samplers and vst instruments.

Specs:
    - 8 1/4" outputs
    - One MIDI In/Out
    - One assignable headphone jack
    - No inputs needed.

Suggestions? This will get heavy use for tons of touring. It will be used on a MacBook Pro running Leopard.

thanks!

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

A laptop...so you need it to be either USB or Firewire.
    Do macs have a PCMCIA slot? You could get a box which connects via a breakout cable.

This doesn't really limit your choices, 80% of interfaces are non-PCI anyway.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I don't know of a reasonably-priced interface that has 8 DAC outputs, an assignable headphone amp and no inputs. There are high-cost ones, but I honestly think you would be better off getting an interface that has some ADC ins, 8 DAC outs and monitoring, and simply not using the inputs.

The RME Fireface800 fits the bill perfectly. The Presonus FireStudio or MOTU Traveler Mk 3 could well also do what you want if you were prepared to use a separate MIDI interface.

4. http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler-mk3 has midi api. neve are great, also check out the mr816.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Oh, right. Those must be the connectors on the side panel of the unit that are inaccessible when rack mounted.