1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Live Vocal Rig Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by stealthy, May 8, 2008.

1. stealthy

stealthy Guest

it looks as if i will be heading up vocals in a band that i am joining, so i would like to have my sound tailored to me, regardless of where we play. i would like to put together a small, quality rig (rack mount perhaps?) so that i can just give an XLR cable to the sound guy at a gig and tell him to run it my signal dry, and just EQ as needed.

my question is, what do you guys suggest for a good outcome (what style? ROCK!)? eq, compressor, reverb, delay, tube mic pre, all around effects processor such as lexicon mx200 or tc m350, bbe 362, or what?

i dont know much about perfecting live vocals, so any insight would be greatly appreciated =)

2. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

wait, you mean that YOU want to set compression, eq, delays, reverbs, etc ?

but.. but you are on stage and dont know what it sounds like in the audience. .???

that would be a terrible idea.

3. stealthy

stealthy Guest

well i would prefer to set everything "decently" and if needed, have the sound guy dial everything in. i just want my own units, as alot of the venues dont have proper effect setups and/or below par sound guys...

more than anything, i just want my own rig. make sense?

4. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

+1

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

rockstardave, did you just +1 your own post?

I have awesome hair.

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

+1 to that!

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

+1

If you plan on using specific effects for your show it would be best to have your own sound guy that will do it consistantly every time. Otherwise it'll be a crapshoot. You can't expect your sound to be the same in every venue. You need someone behind the console that knows what you are trying to achieve.

Certainly there are vocalists out there with their own rack but they usually have a sound guy to run it for them.

8. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

+1 Bad idea - due to this statement:
    +1 on Codemonkey's hair.

+1 because Hueseph's here, and so am I.

+1 On Rockstardave's personally attributed to his own post's +1...

There's no problem purchasing gear you want and building a rack for the FOH guy(s) to use, but running the dynamics and FX from the stage - ehhh, that's tricky.

9. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Ok, i understand what you are saying about running the setup from the stage, thats fine.

so now the question is, what effects or rack gear do you suggest?

eq, compressor, reverb, delay, tube mic pre, all around effects processor such as lexicon mx200 or tc m350, bbe 362, or what?

10. bent

What's the budget?

For an EQ, here's the few items I'd use:

Klark Teknik DN360
    Ashly GQX models
    Meyer CP-10
    White 4000 series

Price them, what do you think?

11. stealthy

stealthy Guest

bent, my internet is not working well right now, and im only able to look up the Klark Teknik, but im assuming they are priced similarly....which is way way out of my budget.

i am no pro, but i do want to put together a budget friendly rig in which i can get a decent sound. im talking realistically around $700...so a $1700 EQ is a bit over the top!

from the items ive listed, if i could just get suggestions as to what i could use and what i dont need, i will base my decisions on that and go from there to find a unit in my price range. what im getting at is, im not going to get a BBE 362 if its not going to help me. If I should get a processor like the Lexicon MX200, great, should i get anything else? I'm just not familiar with what people include in their budget vocal rig, so pardon my ignorance :)

12. bent

OK, I'd have replied sooner, but I'm sitting here between my two dogs, drinkin' a beer and eating hot boiled peanuts.

You want a comp, EQ, and an FX box w/ the necessary cables to patch everything.

Hang on...

13. stealthy

stealthy Guest

A nice cold beer sounds good! *walks to kitchen*

Ok, so I'm thinking of just a basic 31 band EQ, FX unit such as the Lexicon MX200 (or similar - suggstions?), and a single CH. Compresor.

Anything else? Ive heard good things about the BBE 362, but havent heard if its needed just for vocal use (probably not). Also not sure if a pre amp of somesort should/could be used in conjunction with all of this.

As always, you are the man, Ben!

14. hueseph

I would put my trust in the FOH engineer for now. Until you know exactly what you want the effects for, there's no point in getting them. They're not going to make you sound any more professional than the existing PA system. Listen first, play later. This is a difficult thing to do because a lot of the time we think we're listening but really we're just enjoying the music.

I'm sure you've heard it before but I'll say it again, a great band can sound great through the crappiest gear. A lousy band will sound lousy through the best gear.

In other words, you've just joined the band. Don't worry about gear just yet. Get the songs and performance down first. Once that's taken care of you will have a good idea what gear you will need and likely, the gear you will want as well.

There's lots of gear I want but in all honesty, unless I gigging again soon or selling some jingles, it's just a waste of money.

15. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Hueseph....I agree and understand what you are saying. However, I have no plans to go out tomorrow and get this stuff. As you said, I will get the performance side of things down first....I just like to plan ahead and use it as motivation. (if that makes any sense!)

16. bent

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DBX131 ($200)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DBX160A ($330 (blem))

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEM350 ($200)

Total before Rack / Cables: $730

17. bent

That's the cheapest I'd want to buy.

18. hueseph

Makes fine sense. Just don't jump the gun is all I'm saying. I've wasted plenty a good dollar that way.

19. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Thank you bent, if thats all you think I will need, great!

20. bent

Let me know where you're playing next - perhaps I'll check out the show...