1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Logic vs ProTools

Discussion in 'Logic' started by billrc, Oct 13, 2003.

1. billrc

billrc Guest

Hi just got back from AES and my head is spinning. Am just getting into home recording and am a Mac person (what can I say). But that being the case I am trying to choose between Logic and ProTools.(or is there something better for macs out there?) If I go with Logic I'm looking at the MOTO 828mkII. I think they both work out to about the same price. Do you think there is any major difference? And how in the world do you pick which microphone to buy. I tried so many but to tell you the truth I couldn't tell what would be best for my voice and at what price. I think the hard part of this hobby is just choosing the equipment.
  2. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    Logic has more/better composition tools. If you are into midi, and are more of a composer Logic is better.

If you are more concerned with audio recording/engineering Pro Tools is more like a tape recorder.

I'm more musician than engineer I use DP and Logic for composing and audio recording.

3. pponomarev

pponomarev Guest

Yeah, for home recording and composition, Logic and Digital Performer are the most popular host-based Mac-only applications.

Try them both and see what fits you best.
  4. tron

tron Guest

Which Pro Tools? HD3?
    Let's compare them

Sample rate:
    L= 192 HD3= 192

Audio hardware support
    L=all (toghether) HD3= Digi

L=255 HD3 192

pluging instances:
    L=15 per tracks unlimited CPU with freeze
    HD3= 5 per tracks, DSP limited

instrument tracks with no need to have Midi/AUX/Audio tracks separately
    L=yes HD3 N/A

auto plugins delay compensation
    L=audio=instrument tracks HD3 N/A

full automation
    L=yes HD3=yes

full audio editing features
    L=yes HD3=yes

surround production in all formats
    L=yes HD3 yes

MIDI sequencer
    L=full featured HD3=spartan/basic

audio structure
    L=32 bit floating point in the whole audio flow
    HD3=24 bit fixed point TDM. plugin processing at 56 bit with 24 bit truncation or dithering at every plugin instance

sound quality
    L=1:1 HD3= IMO (that's personal) bad sound

plugins formats
    L=AU and VST (converted) HD3: Pro Tools and soon VST (converted)

GUI personalisation
    L= 90 screensets HD3= 2 windows whose position is remembered

Channelstrip in edit window
    L=yes HD3 N/A

L=full HD3=full

Video track
    L=yes with firewire output
    HD3=yes with firewire output

automation data
    L=32bit HD3=12 bit
  5. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Aug 15, 2003
    If only it were as simple as a few stats.

6. billrc

billrc Guest

Tron, I was talking about PT LE not HD3. This is just for personal recording. Thanks to everyone that responded. I asked this question in another forum and it seems that Logic gets better reviews. It is a bit harder to master I think but will be the better program for me. Thanks again, Bill
  7. For what it's worth - I used logic for almost a decade, and got to really love that program. As I'm on a Wintel machine, it's no longer really an option (though I still have my copy and use it from time to time). I invested in the PTLE (Digirack 002) and, quite honestly, was not that thrilled with it. The ProTools LEplug-insbundled with digi 002 are nothing special nor is the hardware (8 analog i/os and 8 ADAT i/o, SPDIF i/o) - but it's functional. The point is for about $1200, you'd GET the hardware AND software - I don't know what Logic Platinum costs now, it used to be in the $600 range, but you'll have to get decent hardware - perhaps the MOTU line, as you mentioned.

As software, I use Pro Tools for AUDIO ONLY - as many here have eluded to - it's MIDI is basically useless (it's something like cakewalk 2.0 from the early 90s). As as audio tool, it's limited to 32 tracks at playback and 16 buses for extra stuff - typically enough, but you never know. I simply use it for interchange with other studios and with MAC based studios in NY - it makes it easier. As a composer, I WOULD definately take the MOTU, LOGIC, or CUBASE host of programs over the Pro Tools system.

Hope this helps