1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

looking for a decent distant kickdrum mic.

Discussion in 'Drums' started by krisbelaen, Mar 15, 2003.

1. krisbelaen

krisbelaen Guest

looking for a decent distant kickdrum mic.
    Not a 3000$ monster.

merci beaucoup
  2. route909

route909 Guest

Røde NT1000. Plenty low frequency candy. Relatively cheap.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    My favorites AKG D12 or D112. Also very useable, Sennheiser 421, EV RE 20. I perfer dynamics even for distance applications. LD condensers are not directional enough IMO and I hate to risk them in high SPL / wind blast conditions. Kurt
  4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Mar 31, 2002
    I use all LD all the time. I know Kurt does not agree with me, but I get a killer sound using an LD in figure 8 inside the kick, or an RE20 in the hole with a TLM103 or KSM44 about 1 to 2 feet in front.

I solve the directionality problem by building a little house out of moving balnkets and foam.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Do you place the LD mic in fig. 8, inside the kick so the elements are pointed at the shell rather than the head? Kurt
  6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I can only assume that in wanting a distant kick drum mike you're lookin for the beef...might i suggest an ATM-25? this is what i use in conjunction with the close-mic at the head. this mike has a great range, is well damped and like cedar/kurt suggested a very tight pattern. This is not to be confused with the 'pro' series with the same number..these do not sound quite as distinct as the original.
  7. lowdbrent

lowdbrent Guest

Jazz kicks with no hole: Beyer M88
    Audio Technica ATM25
    AKG D112
    EV RE20 (at the end of a second kick placed in front of the first)
    Sennheiser 421
    Sennheiser 441
    New, pre EQ'd mics that you would only use on kick: Shure Beta52, EV868
    Pillow Mic: Shure Beta 91
  8. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

Sep 5, 2000
    The figure 8 in the kick that Steve uses sounds very interesting. Jumps RIGHT outta the mix at you. I asked if it was oriented at the shell or at the heads - he said it was pointed at the heads.

Doesn't really matter anyway, since you've got 2 omnis in there, you're going to get some shell resonance anyway. Depending on the mic, it could sound peaky or smooth. Steve's sounded smooth, I think it was a Shure KSM44.

If you're looking for a distant room mic, you could try a PZM mounted to a piece of lexan to increase the low-end. Placed low - below the cymbals about 8' away from the drums, you'll get a nice drum sound if the room sounds good. If not, tight mic.

The room mics are always fun to mult and send one channel to a ridiculous compressor and return that to it's own fader that you can work against the fader of the non or less squashed signal. Gets a nice blap.

Dan Roth
    Otitis Media
  9. scottlwilson

scottlwilson Guest

AT4047.........plenty of weight and snap!
  10. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

Sep 5, 2000
    I agree with that! 4047 under the sound blanket "tunnel" a few feet out from the kick sounds pretty fat.