1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for a specific tool.....

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pandamonkey, Mar 14, 2003.

1. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

Ok, I make electronic music and I have been trying to figure out a way to do something... What I would like to do is to play an audio signal through a device (soft or hard) and trigger the ongoing signal on and off rythmicly. (forgive my spelling!) I'll try to say it another way... I want to use a controller that doesn't say "on and off" per say but rather acts as a gate... meaning when depressed, the incoming signal/source becomes audible and when released, it mutes. I want to be able to take a melody or pads and gate the signal not based on dynamic peaks and lows but rather open and close the gate with a "one hit" or keyboard type controller. I've thought about playing a track through Kontakt but can't think of a way to control the on/off in a way that I can do it by simply holding a key on my controller down and the signal escapes then releasing the same key and the signal instantly mutes etc.. (over and over again.) Is that a hardward device that I could side chain a signal into and trigger the output on and off with a button or something??? If anyone can figure out what that hell I'm saying, and knows a trick or device that can do it, could you let me know... sorry for being so long winded!
    pAndAmOnkEY

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

You need a gate with a key input. You hook up the audio output of whatever you want to control the gate to the key input and run what you want to hear through the gate.

3. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

not sure I get your idea but Digital Performer 3.11 includes a plug in that uses audio to trigger midi