1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for books

Discussion in 'Recording' started by wavelength, Jan 9, 2004.

1. wavelength

wavelength Guest

I am pretty much a beginner, Could anyone recommend me some books about Practical Micing Technique, like positioning, isolating etc, that will be really help.
  2. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2003
    To be read with your best radio personality voice -
    Look above this forum's home page for one of the most comprehensive list of excellent sources for all your recording needs. (Did that sound like a VO?)
  3. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I bought "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" by Peter McIan and Larry Wichman, ISBN #0-8256-1378-7

This is truly a beginer's book about home recording and basic micing techniques. It is focused entirely on analog (tape) recording, with only a few of the 320+ pages given to digital. First published in 1988 and 2nd copyright in 1994.

Yes, the book is dated, but it was a bargain at Amazon. It does indeed start at the very bottom, and has much covereage on analog decks, inserts, and interconnections. There are chapters for bass, guitar, piano, synth, and vocal recording techniques.

Be sure to read the RecorderMan Method of drum overhead placement. Once you figure it out from the text, this will help you a lot. After you get the basic concept visualized, the best teacher is practice.
  4. Linwood

Linwood Guest

I've given this book a lot of plugs on different forums ( so forgive me - here goes again), but it was written by a friend and is a very good book." Mixing with your mind".

5. "Home Recording for Dummies". It's not what the title suggests, and is written on a higher level than others in that series.

It has chapters on all what you are asking. I use it for guidance for live gigs as well.
  6. wavelength

wavelength Guest

Thanks, you guys are really friendly. I am considering to have Musicians Guide to Home Recording and Mixing with your mind now.

I am now studying in the school of audio engineering. The theory part, I will say, is really enough for me.

so what I am looking for, maybe is a book showing me just the practicle side of how to record different kind of instruments, it's better if it can introduce some uncommon instruments, because I read a lot about guitars/ bass/ drums.

Any, please?
    :s: :s: :s: :s: :s: :s:
  7. bgavin

bgavin Guest

There are a number of free PDF files on this subject from the various manufacturers. I keep a bunch of these on my web site. Links follow below.

Shure - Microphones and Multitracks

Shure - Mic Techniques for Sound Reinforcement

Shure - Mic Techniques for Studio Recording

M-Audio - Choosing and Using Microphones

Neumann - Mic Theory of Operations and Examples
  8. golli

golli Active Member

Apr 17, 2003
  9. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.