1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for GREAT vox Mic pre

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by josh R, Sep 14, 2003.

1. josh R

josh R Guest

I'm looking to buy a really good mic pre for vocals and occasionally Rhodes/guitars, or maybe horns.
    I have U87 and RME converter to ProTools TDM.
    I mainly do Hip Hop/ RnB.
    Looking to spen $2000-$5000.
    Wondering abut channel strips, familiar with Avalon 737 and have used one for several projects but feel like I can do better. Or any good Mic pre/Comp matches.
    Any Input GREATLY appreciated. Just want to see what people are using out there.
    Thanks,
    josh

2. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Any of these. GML especially if you got the cash.

3. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

I think a lot of the RnB-people use the Avalon which is a very nice pre.

Myself I´m very, very satisfied with my vintagedesign ca73, Neve 1073-clones (wonderfully made by Thomas Kristiansson featuring St. Ive´s transformers and all the goodies that a 1073 is supposed to have. Pure class A, with attitude, and 80 db of gain :) Check out www.vintagedesign.tk).

Since you seem to have a good budget you can also check out Manley, seems to me that they are pretty popular along the RnB people aswell.

Focusrite ISA 430 is also very nice. And Calrec RQP 3200.

These I have used and can highly recommend. Then I know that there are a lot of new, nice pres out there that you´re gonna get recommended to buy, but I haven´t tried them so I´ll leave those out.

Happy pre-hunting !

4. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

The link in my reply is supposed to be http://

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Mono? dual-mono?stereo linkable?

Manley Vox Box

GT Vipre

DW Fearn

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I not a fan of the Avalon 737, but it is a standard for hop and rap. For an all in one box I have had great sucess with the Manley Vbox, AMEK/Neve CIB, and the API 7600. I'm also pretty fond of my Focusrite Red-7. The Focusrite ISA 230 or 430 are as good or better with eq and more features. The new Chandler stuff is worth checking out. The DW Fearn has an awesome, big beautiful tone that is unmatched.

7. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

For channel strips:
    Pendulum Quartet
    Manley VoxBox
    Millennia SST-1
    Groove Tubes Vipre

For straight pres:
    DW Fearn
    Neve clones
    Pendulum MDP-1 (A, B or C)

--
    Stephen Boyke

8. cdp

cdp Active Member

I tend to stay away from the do-it-all units. Something like an api 512 should do nicely, although, with an 87, I would probably agree with using that DW Fearn...

Charles

9. white swan

white swan Guest

If I had $2000 I wouldn't even hesitate -

VIPRE!

10. RinnyTin

RinnyTin Guest

I have the Avalon, and for the money, I don't think there's a better mic pre/compressor/eq out there. However, for vocals, it's pretty slow, between the tube mic pre and the slow attack of the compressor, it's not ideal for every situation. For $5K you could get something like a Summit or Tube Tech stereo compressor and then a great solid state mic pre like the John Hardy or the Great River, this would give you more flexibility, you could use the compressor for mono or stereo tracking chores, then again for mixing or on the 2-bus or whatever. Just 2 cents.

11. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

If I had to choose an all in one, does everything box, I would go for the Millennia STT-1 ORIGIN. It has an instrument di that is switchable between tube or solid-state, with an input transformer that may be in or out of the signal input path, is switchable between solid state or tube mic pres, again with a transformer that can be in or out of the input path, a four band parametric eq that is also switchable between tube or solid state topology and an OPTO (my favorite type) compressor that again is switchable between tube or solid state. It may be employed with any of the sections together or individually. The thing is built like a tank, looks and sounds great! The OPTO comp is one of the best I have ever heard (and I have a Manley EL OP and a pair of LA4's and have in the past, owned LA3a's and an LA2a). All that for under $3000! I reviewed one here in the RO E Mag and I absolutely loved it! I cannot think of any other "all in one" pre box that has the flexibility or the features that the ORIGIN has. Best bang for the buck IMO! Kurt

12. Malpasoman

Malpasoman Member

I run a Soundelux ELUX 251 through a GT Vipre for my vox. The Vipre rawks! Buy one now, you won't be sorry.

13. broonsbane

broonsbane Guest

If you don't mind spending the money . . .

I'd have to say a Groove Tubes Vipre for the mic pre and a Tube Tech CL-1B for a compressor. You won't find much of a better match anywhere.

It'll pretty much take most of your budget, but you said 2-5.

14. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that. That is is a very, very good combo. I'd match you a DW Fearn and a Manley Mono Vari-Mu or the Martech with an Atomic Squeeze Box.

15. Davedog

Yeah! and both of these combos can buy you a very good car...or a load of really good beer :c: :c:

16. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I'd choose good gear over beer anyday. Cars too ...

17. This is a new twist- "Best sounding beer for under $1000?" David

18. Davedog

I've never claimed to Not be original...

19. denial

denial Guest

For Vox:

Both the Groove Tubes VIPRE or a Telefunken V76 would be my pre choice and either an LA2A or 1176 for compression. However I really love an API 512c pre and 525 compressor (525 is the best kept secret in audio). On the other hand I'm equally at home with a Neve 1073 and LA2A.

If you're looking at channel strips then I'd take a close look at the API 7600 for an excellent all in one box.

I've never found much use for the Avalon 737. The pre lacks any sign of a tube (character) and the compressor is pretty much useless. The EQ is quite good. My personal preference is their solid state 2000 series gear. It's more open and deep if that makes any sense.

20. Robert Sands

Robert Sands Guest

What do you think of the UA 6176? I recently bought it and I'm loving the way my Soundelux E47 sounds thru it. If I wanted to get one more pre and mic what do you think would complement that? I'm thinking about a Soundelux Elux 251 and the Amek Pure Path Channel in a Box which is like having a channel from their super high end 9098i console. I have their 9098 compressor and love it. I'm thinking that the Amek and the Elux251 would be enough of a different sound from the UA and E47 so that I could cover alot of territory sonically. But I'm looking for opinions so let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I don't have an LA2A except with my UAD1 which sounds great but I do have the 1176 in the 6176, so do you think that I'm covered in so far as compressing the vocal in that world class kind of way?
    Thanks, Robert