1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking For Low End Laptop As Live Keyboard Rompler

Discussion in 'DAW's, Computers & Software' started by Suntower, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Suntower

Suntower Active Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Winter: Seattle, Summer: Dublin
    Home Page:

I dunno if this is the right place, but I need a new Win7 laptop for home use, but I was thinking that I'd like to get one that is usable for live performance.

Currently, I use a keyboard workstation (an old Korg) for live gigs. It's getting to the end. I was going to replace that as well with something like a Casio WK7500... prox $500, but then I realised this is 2011... I have extra licenses for NI Komplete so...

I'm looking for a laptop that can act as a 'rompler'. No need for anything beyond stereo recording or output. Just need it to be reliable. The other 6 days a week it will be used to browse the web and do e-mail and that's about it. Maybe -any- of the current ones will do what I need (my current laptop is 7 years old and runs a P4 so I'm totally out of touch with what's au courante.)

I guess I'd then also need a portable MIDI controller and stereo AD/DA

I'd like the total budget for all 3 devices to be under $1,200 if possible.

Suggestions? The main things for me are:
    a) Reliability

b) the MIDI keyboard should have at least 73 keys and something a bit better than an 80's synth action... 'hammer' would be nice.